THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Friday 3 July 2009

Alahai... problem lagi...

Depending on the situation, sometimes I hate it when I'm right. I just mentioned about it in my blog posting last night - that from the tone of her voice, I sensed Puan Nur may be having some problems. I was right. And worse still, the problem had something to do with my little Cek Mek. Aaargh!!

Remember my letter to Cek Mek? Well, when I wrote that letter to Cek Mek, Puan Nur was on her way to fetch both Cek Mek and her mom from the shelter home. I had thought they were all back at their home state by now.

Apparently, due to the short notice, Kak Ana, the lady in charge at the shelter home did not allow Puan Nur to take the baby back with her. According to Kak Ana, Cek Mek's appointment is coming up in August, so she asked that they only take the baby after that appointment so that she could arrange for the transfer of the baby's appointments to Sharifah's hometown. Kak Ana was quite adamant and Puan Nur didn't want to argue further, so yes, she took Sharifah home and left the baby there, with the plan of coming back to fetch the little girl later.

Actually getting the referral letter to transfer the girl to another hospital is a small matter. It can be done later. But I didn't follow them when they went to fetch Sharifah and Cek Mek, and so I couldn't argue on their behalf...

Anyway, early this morning Puan Nur called me. The welfare officer at the hospital of the town where Cek Mek's present shelter home is called her yesterday. Probably after thinking about it overnight and not knowing what else to do, Puan Nur finally called me this morning to tell me of her problem.

You see, the welfare officer is of the opinion that the shelter home is not conducive for the baby's upbringing. The home apparently had only been officially registered for disabled people, not for abandoned or homeless children or the likes. This same officer had spoken to Puan Nur before, and Puan Nur told her she'd fetch them on the 4th (that's tomorrow). But Puan Nur instead went to fetch them last week without notifying anyone - and ended up only taking home Sharifah, due to Kak Ana's insistence that my Cek Mek should stay on a little longer until the appointment date.

Since Puan Nur had told the welfare officer earlier that she'd be fetching Sharifah and her baby on the 4th, yesterday, the officer called Puan Nur just to confirm that she'd be coming tomorrow. She was surprised when Puan Nur related to her the whole story of what happened the week before. Realising that the baby is now at the shelter home without her mother around, and doing what she felt was the right thing to do, to save the baby from a home not conducive to the little girl, the officer reported the matter to state welfare department. Now the case is under the state welfare. Adoiii...

I asked Puan Nur to give me the officer's number so I could speak to her direct. And I gave the officer 10 minutes after office hours began to settle down before I called her. Thank goodness the officer was at her table when I called. When I introduced myself as Afizah from Buddies of Ipoh, she went, "Aha... ya!" Oh dear, don't tell me my name already known there too???

Well, at least I didn't have to make too long an introduction. The officer actually thanked me for calling. Apparently my name was included in the report she submitted to the welfare department although she didn't know my full name. No, nothing bad lah. She had to report Sharifah's and Cek Mek's history from the beginning and I was included as the person from the "badan sukarela yang bekerjasama dengan hospital Ipoh" when Cek Mek was first born. The officer knew pretty well we are a registered organisation dealing specifically with HIV cases. I even gave her my full name and hand phone number in case she or the state welfare needed to contact me. At least now I get more contacts in the right departments.

Anyway, the officer explained to me that the case is no longer under her jurisdiction now that the case had been reported to the state welfare. What will happen now is that the baby will be placed under a new "pelindung" which is a home under JKM specifically for children. Most likely JKM officers will go and get Cek Mek from the present shelter home by today and place her at the new home. From now on Sharifah and Puan Nur will have to deal direct with the new shelter home.

After listening to the officer, I think it's probably best for the welfare officers to get the baby from the present home and send her to the new home. At least Kak Ana cannot refuse because the officers will come with an official letter. And given that Puan Nur did want to take the baby earlier, only to be refused by Kak Ana, they cannot accuse Puan Nur and Sharifah of purposely abandoning the baby.

I asked the officer to inform me once it's confirmed that the welfare people had taken the baby from the present home. She promised me she would.

Only problem is, due to the temporary separation, Sharifah has become somewhat flip flop in her decision. First she thought of leaving the baby for a few more months while she gets herself a job... then she cries and wants to stay with the baby at the new shelter home. Alahai sayang oi... the new shelter home is only for budaklah, not mak budak...

Whatever it is, once the baby has been brought to the new shelter home, I will need to bring Puan Nur and Sharifah there to meet up and discuss the matter further with the new "pelindung".

My poor little Cek Mek. She's exactly one month old today and yet she already has to go through so many hurdles in her life.

Alahai Cek Mek... Opah Pi pun dah pening dah... tak jadi kerja kat opis hari ni...

Never mind, cheer up okay? Just imagine Datuk M.Daud Kilau now gelek-ing in front of you singing the song...

"Senyumlah... senyumlah... ahai Cek Mek Molek!"

2 comments:

mekyam said...

poor little cek mek!

and all because the grandma came earlier than appt time. so silly lah puan nur and so tight-arsed of kak ana. as for syarifah, bila abis pantang, someone shd shake her hard! :D

commend you pi for your patience with ppl of all natures. kalau i, my guru besar side sure dah mara ke depan dah tu.

Pi Bani said...

Mekyam,
You know those instances when people don't want to trouble you but end up troubling you even more? Well, here's one instance!

Anyway, I don't have any guru besar side in me... but the next time I see them, maybe the headgirl side of me yang akan mara... ;) (besides, headgirl is younger than guru besar kan? Hehehe...)