THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Saturday 18 July 2009

This and that...

Remember in my posting about the HIV/AIDS exhibition at the private college, I mentioned about signing up for a full blood test at a cheaper rate? Well, tests done at the college were only for their students and staff, and although the public was eligible to sign up for the tests at the same special rate, we'd have to go personally to the lab at a private hospital here in Ipoh.

I decided to go this morning. We were advised to fast, so this morning I didn't have my breakfast before going to the pasar tani. And right after pasar tani, I went straight to the hospital to get my tests done. And for the second time in less than a week, I got my arm poked with 'em needles. Earlier on Wednesday, it was for the blood donation drive, and this morning it was for my RM85 full blood screening. Cheap, no? The results will be sent to PFHA, so my contact there will be calling me when they get the results. And nope, don't think I will be meeting any more draculas this week. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------

Remember Rosnah, the lady who called me when I was in Cameron Highlands for the Buddies retreat? Initially she called to seek financial help since she had to spend a lot of money having to come to Ipoh quite often for her husband's hospital checkups. Well, her husband died not long after that. But now Rosnah has been confirmed HIV positive, so there's a new name to be added to my already long list of clients. Her appointment in Ipoh GH will be this coming Wednesday, the same day as Sharifah's blood test.

Oh yes, Sharifah has finally contacted me giving me her new phone number. It was rather difficult when her phone went kaput earlier - all calls had to be done to her mother's phone, and most of the time when I called, Sharifah was not with her mother and so I didn't get to speak to Sharifah personally.

So, what's the latest update on Sharifah and my little Cek Mek? Wait lah until I see her personally this week, then I'll give you updates.

---------------------------------------------------------

Somebody asked me to compile my HIV stories, especially on women and children, into a book - but in Malay. Nak bagi family baca. Depa tak reti internet, and tak reti cakap orang putih, so she said.

Ada ke orang nak publish? And ada ke orang lain nak baca other than the person who requested for it?

Should I? Or shouldn't I?

12 comments:

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

i believe you should. i can try and talk to my other half's boss, who's the managing director of Alaf21(www.alaf21.com.my), and who knows they might be interested.

give it a shot, Kak Pi.

Pi Bani said...

Kerp,
Memang nak kena seriously considerlah I think. Especially since my target is to go into full time NGO work by next year.

Anonymous said...

Pi, I seconded the suggestion but I prefer in English lah.

Raf (from Singapore)

Pi Bani said...

Raf,
If in English, might as well read it for free at my blog, no?

See lah how... still contemplating.

mamasita said...

Wow Pi! Your new gambar looks so nice and macam mek Arab toi!!

About publishing tu biak pi dulu..simpan elok2 all your entries..nanti compile jadi buku kat2 nak pencen esok2!!

mekyam said...

definitely should!

it's current, it's timely and above all like your friend said, the need to increase awareness with the public at large, who are neither netbound nor english-speaking, is now.

also, i think your chatty and kind but not soppy approach is the right way to tell all these stories.

in fact i'm surprised a publisher has not approached you yet.

Pi Bani said...

Mamasita,
Mek Arab? Wei, my father's name Bani Hashim tapi langsung takde keturunan Arab lah.

And nak tunggu pencen? Pencen from office work or pencen from voluntary work?

Pi Bani said...

Mekyam,
Now??! OK lah, let's see if I can try start something after I finish procrastinating... ;)

anom said...

Kak Pi.. you should.. it's really difficult to find books on HIV in BM.. Tambahan plak this is real-life story not the ones yg very educational. I believe it will be well received.

Pi Bani said...

Anom,
OK lah, seriously dalam pertimbangan. Tapi bila-bila tu entahlah. Nak kena cari masa le pulak.

Salt N Turmeric said...

Pi, do both in English and Malay. At least non-malay speaking can read eventhough can read free online, tak sama dgn pegang buku esp when travelling. ;)

Pi Bani said...

Farina,
Banyak benor ke masa I nak buat semua tu? If I can do just one pun to me it's quite an achievement already. :)