THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Monday 5 October 2009

The belated birthday do

After reserving Saturday for my final (I think) Raya rounds, I thought I'd make Sunday my rest day. Other than a kenduri aqiqah at a friend's house nearby my place, I was planning to simply relax at home in the afternoon.

But on Saturday during my Raya rounds, a text message came in from Wani. She wanted to do a small makan-makan at home on Sunday to celebrate her son's birthday (which fell during fasting month) and so she invited me to join the do.

So yes, after the heavy lunch during the kenduri aqiqah for my friend's first grandchild (it was sort of aqiqah cum Raya open house), and after my zohor prayer, off I went to a fellow volunteer's house. 3 of us volunteers planned to go, so we might as well car pool. And since I had been driving around on Saturday, this time I just wanted to sit and relax in the car, so we went in my colleague's car. We did try to call a few other volunteers to ask if they'd like to join and make the birthday-do a bit more meriah, but most of them already had other plans, so tiga orang pun tiga oranglah!

As we got to Wani's house, her elder son, the one with hearing problems and a very highly excitable kid, came running to the car. Aiyo, I so very gayat lah with this boy. He got even more excited when I took out a hamper from the car to be given to them. It was just a cheap hamper - the same type that I gave to the other families I visited on Saturday, but good enough to excite the children.

All the food were prepared personally by Wani - first I ate the mee soup, then the nasi impit and finally the moist chocolate cake. The chocolate cake was nice but it was so rich I simply couldn't take in any more food after eating it. Besides, I did have heavy lunch earlier at the kenduri aqiqah.

After a while a few female neighbors came and they did seem a bit shy seeing a man (my colleague) in the house, and since we were already full (or at least I was bloody fool, errr... I mean bloody full!), we decided to make a move.

Tomorrow I intend to go to Sofie's place to bring her son to an optician so he can get a pair of glasses. The poor boy must be struggling in class trying to figure out what's written on the board. It's about time he gets a clearer vision of things.

8 comments:

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

open houses still in full swing, even when we're already 2 weeks into syawal. tambah lagi dgn wedding invitations, the next 2weekends sure pack. nasib baik takde bola this week, if not sure semua jemputan ditolak...hehehe...

Naz in Norway said...

Salam Kak Pi,
I've had it! :D
now nak duk diam diam saja ..

Pi Bani said...

Kerp,
I pun ada lagi open house invitation for this weekend, but I ada kenduri to attend in KL, so I shall miss the open house. On Deepavali pun ada wedding invitation. I hope my business clients tak sibuk nak buat open house, I malas nak gi!!

Pi Bani said...

Naz,
Dah terple'ot? Hehehe...

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Pi,
You should weigh yourself - before and after! hahahah...hope all those nasi impit/ketupat/rendang not making your tummy become like Tom's. Would you come to my birthday party?

Kama At-Tarawis said...

masih ber'open house'? tahun ni kak puteri belum lagi beropen-open sebab gusi sakit. maybe this weekend buleh start.

Pi Bani said...

Cat-in-Sydney,
I did weigh myself... MAINTAIN la!!

Wouldn't mind going to your birthday party if you don't mind paying for my air tickets... ;)

Pi Bani said...

Kak Puteri,
Last night ada sorang member ajak ke open house nya this weekend. But I'll be in KL this weekend...

Gusi sakit kalau you gi open house, just open mouth (ternganga) only lah. Hehehe...