THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Thursday 20 August 2009

Back to work, woman!

During our Family Day early this month, I did inform a few of my clients that I'd be in Bali for the whole of last week. Since they were the ones who would regularly call me, it was best if they knew I was overseas. I was hoping none of my clients would call me while my phone was on international roaming.

On the very first day in Bali, I received a text message from Lin's number. The message however, was not from Lin, but from her daughter. She wanted to inform me that Lin had fainted while she was at her goreng pisang stall and had to be warded at the hospital near their home. I replied to say I was in Bali, and that if they needed anything, to call me after the 15th.

A few days later a text message came in from Yah. She as always, kept asking about the monthly financial aid - why it was late and whether the financial aid was stopped. No matter how many times I told this woman I was in no position to determine the monthly financial aid she gets, she keeps on pestering me whenever the money comes in late.

I was having my lunch when her SMS came, so I delayed replying. But when she didn't get my reply, she called! I didn't answer, thinking I'd reply her message once I finish my lunch. But she kept on calling... thrice!! I then replied her message immediately, saying I was in Bali and that I didn't have any clue about her monthly financial aid. Aduh, nak makan kat Bali pun tak senang...

On Friday, a call came in from a private number. One of my colleagues who came together to Bali had called me earlier and the number appeared as a private number, so I figured it could be her. But when I answered the call, the caller was Nuri - another client of mine who last called me more than a year ago! Of all days, she had to call me when I was in Bali!!

Anyway, after I came back, I called Lin to find out why she had to be warded. According to her, the doctor said her blood level was low. Will need to get more details when I visit her, hopefully soon.

On Wednesday a colleague who was on clinic duty then, called me up to inform me about a new client. Although another buddy was assigned to that client, my number was still given to the lady as my colleague thought she may be more comfortable talking to me. You see, this lady, a single mom, not working, stays in an ulu orang asli village, without any phones whatsoever. To call, she'd need to go to the nearest town and call from a public phone.

Well, she hasn't called me yet. I will have to wait for her to call, and then maybe meet her somewhere in town and bring her home, so at least next time I know how to get to her house.

Other than that, I've also got a package sent to me by post, containing new and used clothes to be distributed to the poor families. And some money too have been banked into my account, for me to buy whatever household needs for the poor families.

Yesterday I went shopping for my own household needs. Today I went shopping to buy the needs for the poor HIV infected/affected families. There were already a few bags of rice at the Buddies center, so I didn't buy rice. I bought flour, sugar, margerine, cooking oil, milk, canned food etc for 4 families. When I got to the cashier, she asked, "Makcik nak buat kuih ke?"

Little did she know that for my own kuih raya, all I have to do is to wait for my siblings to balik kampung for Raya... hehehe...

After shopping, I went straight to Buddies center. I had promised a group of trainees from a teachers training college in Ipoh that I'd meet up with them for some sort of interview. They were doing a project paper and they had chosen the topic of HIV/AIDS. Searching through the internet, they got hold of Buddies blog site and emailed us. Short notice, but since I was free, I agreed. 4 of them came, although they got to our center rather late as they had problems getting a transport. But they did come, and we had a good session. They may even be interested to organise talks and exhibitions at their college in future. I told them we'd be glad to help out as long as they don't give too short a notice like they did this time!

Anyway, my car is now loaded with groceries etc. and I intend to start my house visits this Saturday.

All set for delivery!


Bali trip is over, get back to work, woman!!

p/s

To all Muslims, have a blessed Ramadhan!

10 comments:

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

'nak makan kat bali pun tak senang'...muahahahahha...kelakar la akak ni. tapi Yah pon sama, kalo dah takde reply tu agak2 la nak call later2...nasib baik tak tercekik kak Pi kita ni.

salam Ramadan Kak. selamat berpuasa.

Kak Teh said...

aaah, I know the feeling Pi Bani. After all those food and gallavanting, am back to the grindstone. Selamat menyambut Ramadhan yang mulia ini.

Naz in Norway said...

Kak Pi back with a BANG! :D

Pi Bani said...

Kerp,
Ha'ah, nasib baik tak tercekik. I was having lunch alone at that time. If I tercekik, none of my colleagues would have known what happened to me!

Selamat berpuasa to you too.

Pi Bani said...

Kak Teh,
Ohh, yang you makan banyak-banyak masa balik Malaysia hari tu, to cover untuk bulan puasa lah ek? ;)

Selamat berpuasa, and jangan teruk benar menggeliat nak bangun sahur tu!

Pi Bani said...

Naz,
BANG! BANG! BANG!
;)

Unknown said...

selamat menyambut Ramadhan al-Mubarak too!

Pi Bani said...

Ahan,
May you have a blessed and meaningful Ramadhan!

mekyam said...

pi,

i think yr sense of humour abt all the kerenah of your kes2 is what makes you so good at this charity thang. perhaps more than your kesabaran. :D

btw, budak cashier kat kedai tu mesti ingat you nak niaga kuih raya. hahaha!

p.s. oh ya, jangan lupa minum sirap bandung bebanyak utk i, ek!

Pi Bani said...

Mekyam,
My sense of humour sometimes doesn't make any sense...

And yep, I too think budak cashier tu mesti ingat I nak berniaga kuih raya. Tu I baru beli barang untuk 4 families. I may be buying more next week.

p/s
I tak berapa minat sirap bandung lah. Sirap bali boleh? ;)