THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Tuesday 23 September 2008

Balik kampong... o-o-o... balik kampong...

Ever since end of 1992 when I came back to Ipoh to stay with my mother, I never had to go through the trouble of having to balik kampong when Hari Raya or any other festive seasons approaches. I am already here in my kampong so where is there to balik to?

So, why am I bringing up the topic of balik kampong this time?

Because this year I get to balik kampong!

Huh? Does that mean I have moved elsewhere? Not at all! Actually my mother’s appointment at Putrajaya Hospital is this Friday morning. Yes, Friday – when school and university Raya holidays start. Chances are we too have to be involved in the balik kampong rush after that. To avoid the possibly madder rush, we’re making sure we’re heading straight home immediately after the appointment – which I hope will finish early.

Anyway, speaking of balik kampong, I remember the balik kampong rush I had to endure during my younger days (Oh, I’m still young now… those days I was just much youngER!).

My balik kampong experience began since I was 13 when I got into a boarding school. Most of my trips home then were by train although there were a few times when we took the bus home. Mind you, the train services back then were not at all like what we have now although I have to admit it has been ages since I took a train ride – I stopped taking the train (keretapi) ever since I got myself a car (kereta Pi)…

Back then tickets were simply sold and it was on free seating basis. No numbered seats! During the Raya balik kampong and balik sekolah/kerja rush, we were considered lucky if we could get a space to stand inside the train coaches. People standing at the door steps of a moving train were a normal sight and sometimes to get into the coaches, some had to do so through the windows. During raya season, some would even stand in the toilet throughout the journey.

I remember once when we needed to go back to school after Raya. By the time the train reached the Ipoh railway station, there was no way we could get in. You wouldn’t expect our parents to push us through the windows, would you? Especially us girls wearing pinafore/baju kurung! Since we students just had to go back no matter what, the station master told us to wait for a while as he’d arrange an additional coach for us once the other passengers made their way inside the coaches. Waaah… so manja like that…

So we waited for a while and the additional coach finally came… it was actually a cargo coach smelling of anchovies. Ahh, at least we got space to sit down. It didn’t matter that we had to sit on the floor (gerabak barang where got seat lah!) as long as we didn’t have to stand/sit under anyone’s armpits! I prefer the smell of anchovies anytime!

Then during my university days, I remember one particular trip home by train. By then there were numbered seats and so I didn’t have to worry about rushing to grab a seat. But as I sat there at my seat not bothering anybody, I noticed 2 ladies sitting across the aisle; who kept staring at me and whispered to each other. Needless to say, I became so conscious of myself. I didn’t know why they stared and what they were whispering. Nasib baik pakai sunglasses

I finally found out why they stared when one of the ladies opened up her mouth to ask, “Adik, adik, tumpang tanya sikit…” (Ahhh, those were the days when I got to be called adik. Nowadays it’s either kakak or makcik!)

Then a totally unexpected question came from the lady… “Adik ni pelakon drama kan?”

HUH??!! Pelakon drama???! Biar betul… ada tokoh jadi pelakon ke muka macam ni??

When I told them I was not and that I was never ever involved in acting, not even as an extra, they had that “I think you’re lying” looks on their faces. They probably thought I was trying to hide behind those sunglasses so that people wouldn’t notice who I was. (The sun was glaring lah, which was why I wore sunglasses meh!).

Until now I still don’t know which actress they were thinking of. I wonder who they had in mind. (Before you too start wondering, this was in the 80’s mind you… so forget Fasha Sanda and those yang sewaktu dengannyaMUAHAHA!!!)

Ah, those were the days…

Anyway, those of you who are driving to balik kampong this coming Raya, drive carefully ya?

16 comments:

Bergen said...

Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri, ma'af zahir dan batin, ma'am. You be sure to drive safe, y'hear?

Have a good Raya.

Pi Bani said...

Bergen:
Thanks! Same wishes to you too...

Salt N Turmeric said...

Aduh Pi ni. You never fail to make me laugh bagai nak gila. Serious camne pun story tu mesti boleh celah sikit comedy. lol. That kereta-Pi part memang best!

Bestnya you dpt naik train balik kampung dulu. I naik bas aje. I hated it since i cant stand the smell of the buses. Always made me feel sick.

Eh this is not the last post before raya right?

Pi Bani said...

Farina:
Ni yang best nama Pi... mula-mula beli kereta dulu when I tell people I gi kerja naik kereta-Pi they always get confused... and I get a kick out of their confusion... :)

Eh, mana boleh ni last posting before raya. Kena ada raya posting dulu kan? InsyaAllah, ada lagi...

kim'spouts&shouts said...

yo Pi! salam.. gd one laa, kereta pi. hang memang betui2 Pi rah! pelakon derama? ha ha .. but come to think of it, when i imbas2 masa zaman sekolah dulu dgn mata hang yg besau tu, rasa2 ada gaya muka marlia musa 'ek? ngeh ngeh..
selamat raya Pi and maaf zahir batin ! - kim

Monster Mom said...

While u r driving back to Ipoh, my family and I will be on our way to Sepang...

Kita berselisih kat highway ja la kak!!!

Pi Bani said...

Kim:
Wei, aku pakai sunglasses lah masa tu... mana depa perasan mata aku besau tak besau...

Selamat Hari Raya to you too. Kalau ada apa-apa dosa I kat you mintak hampun mintak mahap banyak2. 0 - 0 ye?

Pi Bani said...

Monster Mom:
So, you'll be heading to Sepang. Traffic going that way shouldn't be too bad I think.

Yep, selisih kat highway lah kita. Kalau you nampak pemandu perempuan yang cukup berhemah driving a Kenari heading north, I lah tu... hehehe...

Pak Zawi said...

Pi,
Who else other than Pi can make such a topic so hilariously funny.
Thanks for the idea of having a Raya post. I will put forth something too before Raya.
I will delay my Raya greetings till the Raya post.
Hope all will be well with your mum.

Pi Bani said...

Pak Zawi:
I always prefer to see the lighter side of things - kurang tension gitu...

My mother is doing ok alhamdulillah, but of course, still need to go for follow ups.

Looking forward to your Raya post.

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

kak Pi,

let me see...since it was only yesterday i watched a repeat of mr Os, my guess would be...err...Rima Rashidi. no wait. how about...suhana yahya? muahahaha...

Pi Bani said...

Kerp:
Lantak pi lah sapa pun Kerp oii... dari sekolah dulu I memang takde bakat bab-bab berlakon ni. Ada sekali aje masa form 3 depa suruh berlakon dalam mock fairytale - I was the wicked witch. Tapi yang tu tak kiralah - sebab tak payah teruk berlakon pun... all I had to do was be myself! MUAHAHAHA!!!

Queen Of The House said...

hahaha Pi ... agaknya pelakon mana ek?

Wah you TKC girls dapat special treatment from the Ipoh stationmaster ke? Must have been quite a number of you waiting to board the train. My train trips to/from Seremban lebihkururang same like yours lah .... naik train guna 'waran'. Berebut tempat duduk toksah ceritalah. But coming back, I sometimes caught the Express train from Butterworth, with my dad driving me from Alor Setar to B'worth. Ekspress Rakyat, I think it was called.

Tapi kalau nasib baik, sometimes MRSM provided us a bus to balik utara ....

Selamat hari raya to you and family!

Anonymous said...

Salam AidilFitri, maaf zahir batin. Drive safe!

Take care

Pi Bani said...

QOTH:
Bukannya dapat special treatment, cuma I think one of the girls' parents lah yang approached and convinced the station master to get us an additional coach I think. Tak kisahlah gerabak ikan bilis pun...

Selamat hari raya to you & your family too!

Pi Bani said...

Eida:
Already safely home. Same wishes to you too!

Jangan nakal2 raya ni, ok? :)