THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Monday 31 December 2007

Goodbye 2007... Hello 2008...

2007 had been quite a hectic year for me when it came to my HIV related voluntary work.

There were a few deaths amongst my PLWHAs and their family members this year.

In April, one of Zana’s twin babies died due to complications which were not HIV related.

In May, Lily died after being warded at the Ipoh GH for dengue.

In October, on the 3rd day of Aidil Fitri, Hana’s husband, Rashid passed away. Just 2 days later, another client, Rina followed suit. Both Rashid and Rina succumbed to HIV related illnesses.

This year too, I was assigned 5 new clients. One of them was Rina, who died within the same year. I only got to know her just about a month or so.

Hana too was just assigned to me this year. I have been in touch with her even before she was confirmed HIV positive as she needed help with her husband Rashid who had been diagnosed positive earlier.

Ani too was assigned to me this year. She was infected by her first husband, and she in turn, unknowingly infected her present husband. But her present husband has been very supportive so Ani so far doesn’t really have any problem emotional-wise.

Although I became Fuzi’s buddy since 2006, her son Ijam’s HIV status was only confirmed this year and so he’s the other new client assigned to me.

One more new client was an elderly lady whom I never had the chance to meet and until now I don’t know her whereabouts. Remember Makcik Minah, the 74 year old grandma? Well, my calls to her house were never answered, and since she had also been missing her hospital appointments, even SN is unsure of Makcik Minah’s whereabouts.

I have not included Lin in the list of new clients as I have yet to meet up with her. She will probably be my first client of 2008.

There were also cases whereby I wasn't assigned as the buddy but the PLWHAs would still call me for help. One of them was Zali, whose wife left him and his 2 girls.

It was also this year that I had to handle one case of someone who wanted to kill himself because he THOUGHT he had HIV. Well, Mr. X had been “naughty”, and when his private part began to feel itchy, he was confident he was infected with HIV. He even bought pesticides to kill himself with, much to the horror of his wife who forgave him despite what he did. This one was a tough one to convince. Despite one by one negative blood test results, he insisted he was probably infected. Oh well, after so many tests, he finally accepted the fact that he wasn’t infected and now both he and his wife have moved to another town where he has got himself a new job.

Guess who called me the most in 2007? Well, Yah Ah Ngau wins hands down! From a very strong and determined lady, the moment she got to know Mr. Darling and got bitten by the angau bug, she changed for the worse and is beginning to get on my nerves with her calls. While previously her calls used to be for updates on her children’s wellbeing, of late her calls were more to confide me about her lovelorn stories. Her story is still ongoing, so do stay tuned for more of Yah’s blockbuster mollywood stories… I am sure there will be a few more sequels in 2008.

And if you want to know who the raja SMS is amongst my clients, it has to be Mrs. K. When I say raja SMS, I didn’t mean she got the most number of SMS votes. Mrs. K was the one who would SMS me every time she needed something. And her SMSes are usually very lengthy. Like for example, if she wanted to tell me that her children’s bus fares were RM55, the SMS would include details like “Along tanya kawan dia, drebar bas kata tambang RM55 sebab harga minyak dah naik dan sekolah pula jauh, kalau tak sanggup bayar banyak tu drebar tak nak ambik” etc, etc, etc. I would prefer if she had just gone straight to the point so I could easily figure out what the total amount was…

Most cheerful client would definitely be Jah. She always makes the people around her laugh.

Speaking of cheer, our 2007 Family Day which was held at Lost World of Tambun was a lot of fun. Hmmm, I wonder where our destination will be next year. Other activities include the International Aids Memorial Day in KL and our Deepa-Raya gathering for the HIV infected ladies and their children.

Ah well, goodbye 2007…

To all reader’s of Pi’s TWIST, here’s wishing you all a very happy and blessed 2008, and hopefully our lives will NOT be as twisted as the lives of some of my clients whose stories I’ve been posting on this blog.

31 comments:

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

sorry kak Pi, tak sempat nak baca this entry..will do it once i'm back frm somewhere tomorrow.

here's wishing you a very happy new year. have a wonderful and prosperous 2008!

Rita Ho said...

Pi ... one of the best things that happen to me in 2007 is knowing you through blogging. Not only are you a pillar of strength to the unfortunate but you create awareness of their plight in such a delightful way. Plus, I now have excellent material for my scripts.

Happy New Year and may 2008 bring you excellent health, success and many many more happy days than stressful "YAH" ones!

david santos said...

Happy new year, Pi Bani!!

Daphne Ling said...

Hi Kak Pi,

Happy 2008!

mariannie said...

Happy New Year kak PI. Moga2 kerja kebajikan akan berterusan

Pi Bani said...

Kerp:
Wah, ada project besar somewhere ke?

Wishing you the same, bro.


Rita:
Oh yeah, 2007 was (alamak, now can use WAS for 2007 already...) the year I started blogging. It was also a start to beautiful friendship with so many blogger friends - you one of them!

Hopefully 2008 will be a good year for us all... and less stressful, yah?? ;)

Pi Bani said...

David Santos/Daphne/Mariannie:

Happy new year, and you three keep on going with your great work, ok?

Thanks for dropping by!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Pi.

I found your blog through our dear Nurin Jazlin blog, which I feel her lost till now, even though I have never see or know her in real life.

Your blog are an examples life are full of twists and give me strength to help others and also ideas....we have to face it till the end of it arent we....

This what I told my young staff for their end of the year evaluation,
'iife will be stress free, problems free when you live in heaven, but if you live in the world there always twist here and there...so untwist this life to make you live in heaven'....ha,ha!!!
Hope it works, ask them to surf your blog too!

maria a samad (kak ton) said...

Hi Pi,

Selamat menyambut Tahun Baru!

NaNa said...

Kak Pi,

Wishing you a happy and blessed new year!!

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

ehemm...ok back. no big project, just out galivanting and enjoying my regular fix...of baskin robbins...hehehe...this was daphne's idea.

so anyway, that damn Mr X fella, it could very well be herpes!

IBU said...

A good summary of your blog entries. hehehe... kalau ada exam, this is heavenly for the last minute sprinter.

HAPPY NEW YEAR KAK PI ! May the year ahead bring lots of happiness, wellness and greatness to you & your loved ones. And may it continue to enhance & brighten the lives of those you care for.. (assuming you are not 'taking care' of Mr Darling? eheheh..)

p/s just noticed the new pair of eyes at the top left hand corner. Siap mengenyit2 lagi... Notty yew...

Pi Bani said...

Anonymous 8.36am:
Welcome to my twisted blog... :)

To me the most important thing is to always look for the brighter side things. Of course sometimes it is easier said than done, but we must at least try, right?

As for helping others, well, one day, we may need help too. So when we can help, we should.

Thanks for visiting!

Pi Bani said...

Kak Ton & NaNa:
Thanks and happy new year to us all! Senyum-senyum selalu... ;)

Pi Bani said...

Kerp:
Laaa... gi Baskin Robbins rupanya to celebrate new year...

As for Mr X, it could so many other sex transmitted diseases... but the only thing he was afraid of was HIV. Macam lah sakit lain tu no problem... amende lah...

Pi Bani said...

Ibu:
Oh no, no way am I going to take care of Mr Darling the dalang!! Ampuuuun....

The eyes yang dok menggenyit-genyit? Well, bila berdepan dengan orang in real life tak berani nak kenyit mata (nanti beratur pulak people like Mr Darling...). Kat blog ajelah kalau ada chan nak be notty pun... ;) (dah... kenyit lagi!)

winniethepooh said...

Happy New year Pi Bani!

pearly said...

happy new year to you my dear dear guru ... wishing you 2008 will bring all your dream come true xxxxxx

Pi Bani said...

Winnie & Pearly:
My same wishes to you two beautiful ladies too!

Anonymous said...

Salam K.Pi.

Selamat 2008 and looking forward to more of your Mollywoods! :)

-niasulaiman-

Nightwing said...

Helo Kak Pi,

Happy New Year to you and your love ones...:)

Pi Bani said...

Niasulaiman:
Mollywood story continuation coming soon. Dah janji jumpa Lin hari ni!! Stay tuned...

Nightwing:
Thanks and wishing you the same!

DCampbell aka Puteri said...

Happy New Year, Pi!!]

Eh, your renewing your resolutions like you renew lesen, really made me laugh! Good one!

Pi Bani said...

Puteri:
Kalau dah contents of resolutions sama aje every year, macam renew lesen lah tu... :)

Happy new year to you too!

Mat Salo said...

Pi.. Selamat Tahun Baru, ya Pi. Got a few regrets but more than plenty to make it up too...like your blog f'rinstance. He-he.

Here's to 2008 and I hope to be a better person (don't we all?) Yes, I hope to lead a less 'twisted' life... ;)

Sheisawesome said...

Halo Kak Pi,

Happy New Year 2008!
I love your blog and I always thought I'm the one who's misfortune. I felt very grateful with what I've now after I read your blog & I hope I can do something to help them! At least put a smile on their face. =D

Pi Bani said...

Mat Salo:
Ah, don't we all want to become better persons? Me too!

Laiping:
Welcome to my blog! Hey, I noticed from your profile you are Ipoh mali too? Whereabout in Ipoh?

Yes Laiping, whenever we feel we are unlucky, try to think of others who have to go through even bigger misfortunes. Strive to better ourselves, but at the same time remember to be thankful with what we have.

Sheisawesome said...

Yea~ I stay some where near Ipoh Garden, currently working. =)

Pi Bani said...

Laiping:
Hey, that's quite near my place. I'm staying in Kg Kepayang.

Sheisawesome said...

Kak,

As you read my blog, I'm an emotional & negative thinking person. I have a happy family and I just don't know why I can't be positive thinking person. As I read your blog, insipired me to appreciate and be grateful for what I've now rather than always think about bad stuff. I think I have to smile more as my first things to do in my new year resolution list. xD
Now I believe in "Think Positive You Will Attract Good Things To Come TO You"

Pi Bani said...

laiping:
Yes, I actually went to your blog and I noticed you were feeling down. Think positive laiping! It may be difficult initially, but whenever we feel down, try to think of good things.

I do admit, I too feel down from time to time; but I will try my best to think of the lighter side of things - even to the extent of making jokes of things which upset me. Laughter is the best medicine! Errr... just don't keep laughing non stop lah... nanti people think I dah gila pulak!! ;)