THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)

Wednesday, 12 December 2007

Clients, bloggers and MRT

Monday, 10th December 2007:
As I was trying to clear some work at my office before going on leave the next day, a call came in from Fuzi. She was nervous at the thought of having to go to the Mahkamah Syariah the next day to get her marriage cert legalized.

Fuzi: “Saya takut kak…”
Me: “Takut apa?”
Fuzi: “Takut nanti kena penjara!”
Me: “Kenapa pulak nak kena penjara?”
Fuzi: “Orang yang tolong saya tu kata saya mungkin perlu bayar denda seribu lebih, Wangnya masih belum cukup lagi kak… nanti kalau saya tak bayar saya kena masuk penjara tak kak?”

I told her not to worry. From what I understood earlier, most likely she was just supposed to discuss certain things with a lawyer first, not straight away go to court. Anyway, I told her if she needed anything she should call another colleague of mine as I would be in KL the next day.

Then I remembered I had not informed Yah that SN wanted to see her when she comes for her blood test this coming Thursday. I immediately sent a text message to Yah. Immediately she replied to say she’d see SN after her blood test and after she meets up with me. I didn’t bother to reply.

Anyway, I was hoping none of my PLWHA clients would be calling me these 2 days. I was actually going to KL to send my sister, brother and sister-in-law off for Haj the next day.

As I was driving at the PLUS expressway, 2 text messages came in. I didn’t bother to check. I’d need my reading glasses to read text messages on my hand phone and I was not about to do so while driving! But after a few minutes, a call came in from Maria. Apparently she was one of those who had SMSed me earlier asking for SN’s phone number which she had lost of the umpteenth time! When she didn’t get any replies she decided to call me instead. I told her I was driving at the expressway and I’d send her the number once I reached my destination.

When I reached my brother’s house in Damansara Jaya, I checked out the messages I got. After giving SN’s phone number to Maria, I checked the other SMS which I had not read. It came from Yah Ah Ngau. Since I didn’t reply her message earlier in the morning, she REMINDED me that she wanted to see me on Thursday. Sheeesh! I told her if she really wanted to see me, she’d have to see SN first as I’d only be available after 1 pm on Thursday.

Tuesday, 11th December 2007:
We woke up early in the morning as we were supposed to leave the house after subuh to send my siblings to Kompleks Tabung Haji, Kelana Jaya. They were supposed to report to Tabung Haji by 7 am. It was public holiday for Selangor and it was still very early in the morning, so the road was clear.

Since I so happened to be at my brother’s house in Damansara Jaya on a Tuesday, I took the opportunity to join this week’s MRT at Kak Ton’s in Kelana Jaya. I had actually made earlier arrangements with Raden Galoh to meet up with her first before we’d go together to Kak Ton’s house. Usually if I needed to go to unfamiliar territory in Klang Valley, I’d get the address before hand and open up my KL and Klang Valley Street Directory to do some homework first. But since Raden Galoh only know how to use her fingers to point me to Kak Ton’s house without knowing the address, we just decided to meet up somewhere first.

I had earlier told Raden Galoh that I may need to leave early to drive back to Ipoh, so we promised to meet up at 9.30 am at a particular kedai mamak first. Thinking that traffic wouldn’t be so bad, I left my brother’s house at 9.15 am. It would usually only take about 10 minutes or so to get to that place. But as I got to KDU (used the same route earlier in the morning to send my siblings to Tabung Haji), I got stuck in traffic. Raden was already SMSing me at 9.30 am to ask me where I was. I had to call her to inform her I’d be a bit late.

Being stuck in the jam reminded me why I simply didn’t want to come back to KL to work after moving back to my hometown in 1992. I prefer Ipoh traffic… :)

Anyway, I finally made it to the kedai mamak by about 9.45 am. Raden was already having her breakfast as she was too hungry to wait for me. Thank goodness she didn’t wait. I actually had nasi lemak for breakfast earlier at my brother’s house so I just ordered coffee for myself. Although it was just my second time meeting up with Raden, we were chatting like we’ve known each other for so long.

After quite some time, we left the kedai mamak and headed for Kak Ton’s house. The house was quite easy to find, really. No wonder Raden didn’t bother to get the address, it was much easier to show the way using her fingers than to remember the address…

We got to Kak Ton’s house at about 11.30 am or so, but when Raden gave the salam, the house seemed quiet. I was actually thinking… aik? Maybe no MRT today? But after a while, Kak Ton came out to greet us. As mentioned in her blog, she had just finished cooking her mee rebus and had to excuse herself to take her bath first. My first time to MRT and I had the opportunity to see the “before and after” version of Kak Ton – before bathing and after bathing… hehehe…

Being early had its own setbacks. For one thing, Abang Roslani, Kak Ton’s other half, had the opportunity to ask all sorts of questions – from my HIV/AIDS voluntary work to my company secretarial office work. Puaslah kena interview...

Anyway, I shall not mention much on the MRT as you can get the stories/photos from Zawi’s Life As I See It and Kak Ton’s Tok Mommy. But I would like to take the opportunity to thank the gracious hosts for entertaining this “orang Perak yang peghak…” and it was great to have met the other bloggers too.

By 2 pm I had to make a move as I needed to go back to Ipoh. I had a peaceful morning as none of my PLWHA clients called…

But when I was back at the expressway on my way back to Ipoh, I heard the James Bond ring tone from my phone again. It was Maria (not Kak Ton lah... a different Maria) again asking questions about her medication which she should be asking SN, not me. You see, she tried to call the HIV clinic to talk to SN, but SN was not around and the other nurse who answered the call was “sombong”, so Maria claimed.

Adoii…. like that also want to complain to me, ah??


Rita Ho said...

Hey Pi ... so fun to "be with you" on your trip to KL. It's morning here now. I miss having nasi lemak for breakfast terribly. :(

kina said...

Kak Pi,

Fun wasn't it?

I guess Maria is becoming dependent on you for all the hospital matter. Can oso be a matron la Kak Pi.

Pi Bani said...

Never mind, next year you'll have your own trip to KL, kan? Then you can have all the nasi lemak or roti canai or satay or whatever other Malaysian food that you want!

Oi, that day jadi police woman, ni jadi matron pulak dah??!!

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

dont worry kak Pi. it has become some sort of a tradition for a first-timer to be grilled by uncle R. i had my fair share of interogation too. but with such lovely hosts, i wouldnt trade them for anyone the entire world can offer.

Nightwing said...

Helo Kak Pi,

Good that u manage to catch up with fellow bloggers...:)

Wow..ada kena interview too...:)

Pi Bani said...

Actually no sweat lah. I'd rather have him interrogate me at his home rather than in court... ;)

It's always nice to be able to actually meet face to face with the people you've only met online before. At least now when talking to them online, I can visualise their face.

Akmal said...

Kak Pi,
If I was there, I'll interview you too(",). Bummer I forgot the day is a holiday. Pak Zawi and Elviza ada jemput saya pegi skali.


Hi Pi,

I am so sorry I missed you at MRT. I got there a little late because I had a few things to do in the morning and was subsequently delayed.
nampak nya tak de "rezeki"-lah kita.
tak pe, ya. next time. i'm sure there's a next time, Insyallah.

take care.

Pi Bani said...

Kalau you nak interview I, kena set appointment dulu siap-siap... :)

Awatnya muda-muda lagi dah pelupa??

Kak Ena:
Yep, takde rezeki. I had to go off early too. Rainy season ni tak berani drive balik lambat sangat. InsyaAllah there will be a next time.

acciaccatura said...

salam kak Pi,
puas dapat jumpa kak Pi. but i'm usually like that one, bila dah ada depan mata, macam tak tahu nak kata apa!

Raden Galoh said...

kakPi...I enjoyed being with you...dari pagi kita borak macam compile kenangan lama (like kita ni kwn lama eh)...tak sangka, dalam you look garang rupanya you are someone full of humor...I love you more for that you know sbbnya on that day you buat I lupa sakit dada I sekejap...actually, being around good friends like you all always like a remedy to my problem...hehehehe

I nak cari reason kat MH utk bwk pi Ipoh...nak jumpa you and my 'niece' Daphne tu...

Pi Bani said...

It was a pleasure to meet you. Tapi... takkan sampai lidah kelu untuk berkata kot? :)

Cakap kat MH, bawak budak-budak gi bercuti kat Lost World of Tambun... the kids will enjoy the rides and slides... hot spring pun ada kalau tak tahan sejuk...

Typhoon Sue said...

ala.... u aje tempat si maria tu nak bermanja. biaq pi lah dia nak komplen apa pun...

Pi Bani said...

Typhoon Sue:
Nak bermanja? Dengan I? OK lah, OK lah... kasi chan la kat dia...

Zawi said...

Pi Bani,
When people are in difficulties there are still people who are willing to con Fuzi of what little that she has. Their ignorance make them very vulnerable to such vultures.
From the way you wrote I think you are capable to bring Kak Ton's house down even though it is made of bricks. Let's do it the next time we are there.

Pi Bani said...

Errrr... if we do bring Kak Ton's house down, where on earth are we going to have the next MRT? :)