THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Monday 14 March 2011

The exhibition & the desperate housewife…

There was an exhibition in Sunway College Ipoh on Sunday 13th March, organised by Perak Women for Women (PWW) in conjunction with International Women’s Day, and in collaboration with Sunway College Open Day.

I was however unable to participate as I had family matters to attend to. My niece got married over the weekend.

The vice-chairman couldn’t make it as he is currently undergoing a second round of chemo treatment for his cancer.

Our honorary secretary couldn’t make it either as she’s overseas until the coming weekend.

So I had to depend on the other volunteers to take charge. During our last board meeting, nobody volunteered to take charge for the whole day so we had one person in charge of the morning session and another for the afternoon session. Luckily our part time staff, who took charge of the exhibition booth of another organisation, had her booth just next to ours, so she could monitor our booth as well. Apparently the volunteers who were able to be on duty for the day were the more reserved type who were rather shy to approach the public.

Well, there is another exhibition coming up on 26th March and this time, insyaAllah, I should be around. Hopefully I can get a few volunteers, especially the trainees, to help me out. At least they can get some exposure as well.

Anyway, remember Shidah, the lady who was abused by her husband? I had earlier told her to call me or directly call the number of PWW if she needed help. PWW had been handling a lot of cases where the wives got beaten up by their husbands, and so I figured they’d know better what to do.

But Shidah never did call and the one time that I called her, she told me she was okay. I did get missed calls from her after that but when I returned the calls, she never answered. My guess is when I returned the calls, her husband was around and so she didn’t dare answer.

However this afternoon I received a call from her…

Shidah: Hello, ini Kakak Afizah?

Afizah: Ya, saya. Siapa ni?

Shidah: Saya Shidah, kakak ingat saya?

*With her Malay in Thai dialect, I immediately figured out who she was.

Shidah: Saya kena pukul lagi kakak. Sekarang saya mau talifon pun susah, suami saya check talifon saya. Ini saya curi-curi talifon kakak.

Shidah needs to go to the hospital this Wednesday for her blood test, and despite the fact that her husband usually locks Shidah at home, he’d always send her to the hospital for her appointments/blood tests. So Shidah wants to take the opportunity to see me at the hospital. I agreed.

Right now I’m hoping to get someone from PWW to come along with me to the hospital to meet up with Shidah so we could discuss and plan what to do. Having her blood test done this week means her appointment with the doctor is coming up soon. If we can plan something this week, then maybe we can take the next course of action during her appointment with the doctor…

4 comments:

Cat-from-Sydney said...

AUnty Pi,
Nak ditolong tapi kena sembunyi? purrr...meow!

Pi Bani said...

CiS,
Kena atur strategi. Dia takut nak lari sebab her passport husband pegang, duit tak ada and she doesn't know where to go. So kena ajar dia dulu to get the best possible jalan keluar for her.

Anonymous said...

Please do it tomorrow morning (Tuesday).

Pi Bani said...

Anonymous,
It is not a matter of when I want to do it. I don't want to put her into further trouble by going to the house. She herself doesn't want me to do so. As I said, her husband never failed to send her to the hospital for her appointments, so the best time and place to meet her is during her appointments at the hospital.