THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Tuesday 13 July 2010

Talks…

I will be driving off to Nilai this afternoon with a fellow volunteer. We will be spending the night there as tomorrow morning I will be giving a talk to students of Nilai University College.

Unlike the usual talks which were more on HIV in general, this time the organisers are already inviting the relevant people to talk on their relevant topics – the first topic will be covered by an officer from IMR and the third topic will be a slide presentation by Malaysian Aids Council. My turn will come in second, on the topic of “Dealing with the HIV infected and affected”.

Well, usually for my talks, I’d just use the slides already prepared by MAC, but this time, since the topic is different, I had to prepare a new presentation altogether – although it is more relevant to my own experience in my voluntary work. Oh well, at least I now have a new set of powerpoint presentation, which I wouldn’t have done had I not been invited to give a talk on the topic!

On Thursday, a Masters student from American University in Washington DC, who’s in KL for 2 months this summer, will be following me around in my voluntary work as part of her research on the impact of HIV/AIDS on Muslim women for an independent study she’s doing for AU.

She will be joining me in NUC tomorrow before following me back to Ipoh for a day.

I will be giving another talk this Saturday to a school in Ipoh; so yep, I’ve got quite a tight schedule this week.

So I think you have a rough idea on what my next blog posting will be about…

10 comments:

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Pi,
Tak penat ke, bercakap je? Your slideshow would be very interesting as you won't put up pictures of your clients, right? Ke, loads of photoshopped stuff? har har har *evil laughs*

Pi Bani said...

Cat,
What do you mean bercakap je? Each talk is just about one hour or so... not whole day meh...

Anyway no, of course no pics of my clients. Just some condom shaped cartoon characters. Hehehe...

Wan Sharif said...

A Masters student will be following you around in your voluntary work as part of her research on the impact of HIV/AIDS on Muslim women for an independent study she’s doing for AU.. wow that would be nice (for you)for a change.. You sure can share your good experience and her input might bring something good..

Naz in Norway said...

As busy as it is, I think you're also having a good time doing something that you love...spreading a message that is closest to your heart.
Nak ikut!

Pi Bani said...

Ayoh Wang,
Yes, something different for a change, hopefully whatever she learns from me can be used for her research.

Pi Bani said...

Naz,
JOM!!

Tommy Yewfigure said...

Hi Cik Afizah,

Betul ke ni, slides with condom shape characters, 'telecondee'??? kakaka.

I realised that condoms play a BIG part in your buddy work; so here's some ice-breakers for u to use in your talks;

Buy one for fun. Buy 144 & be gross :)

If the cap fits, wear it.

In case of malfunction, marry!!! LOL.

Soli-soli, your talks r no laughing matter, maaf ok?

Cheers,
Tommy

Pi Bani said...

Waah... Tommy dengar orang sebut condom, terus respond eh??

Actually the condom shaped cartoon characters weren't too obvious. I'm not even sure if any of them realised it...

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Pi,
Jom pi bowling. *winks*

Pi Bani said...

Cat,
Am not sure if I can go this year...