THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Tuesday 15 December 2009

Shopping for schooling needs – Round 2

Monday came and as I had mentioned in my previous posting, I’d be bringing Yati’s children to shop for their schooling needs. Since Yati doesn’t want me to visit them at home to avoid “interrogations” by Yati’s mother, I told Yati to meet me at the main entrance of the hypermarket where I had intended to take them shopping. AJ was still in the hospital, and so it was just Yati and the kids.

The moment Yati saw me she asked, “Tak ada orang lain ke kak?” She probably thought we’d be having a whole group of children at one time to shop for their schooling needs.

“Takde. Saya bawa satu keluarga je satu masa. Tak nak pening-pening kepala bawa ramai-ramai sekali,” I said.

Well, it was proven later that I had made the right move. Yati’s 2 children, aged 6 and 8, were so… errmmm… shall I say over active??

“Ibu, nak ni!”

“Ibu, nak tu!”

“Ibu, tengok adik!”

“Ibu, kakak dapat, adik pun nak!”

Their mother couldn’t really say much. The kids don’t listen to her. Apparently they do listen to their father but he wasn’t around. Sometimes the kids would insist they wanted something no matter what their mother said. I had to step in and give them a firm, “TAK BOLEH!”

The worse, again, just like it was with Ika earlier, was at the school bags and the stationeries section. You know how it is with kids… they’d go for the ones with famous cartoon or comic characters. And you know this kind of bags or stationeries can cost a bomb, more so due to the branding. It wasn’t too bad at the stationeries section but for the school bags, I set a limit to the price. We were there to help them with their schooling needs, not to pamper them. So, they only qualify for the simple school bags – but realizing how heavy these bags can be when they put in all the school books, I agreed to let them buy the trolley bags.

Anyway, after making sure we got all that was necessary, the kids were still running around here and there. Before they started grabbing and insisting they wanted this and that again, I asked them, “Nak gi minum tak?”

“Nak! Nak!” they said excitedly.

“Nak, jom gi bayar dulu.”

It worked. They stopped running around and followed us to the cashier.

“Maaflah kak, anak-anak saya ni tak reti dok diam.” said Yati while we were heading down to the food corner.

“Tu pasal saya cuma bawa satu keluarga satu masa. Tak ke haru kalau saya bawa ramai-ramai sekali?” I responded.

“Ya tak ya juga ek? Anak saya baru 2 orang dah macam 20 orang!” she said.

Hah, tau takper!

While we having the drinks, Yati told me how her mother wanted to come along to follow her shopping. Yati had told her earlier that she’d bring her children to buy their schooling needs. Konon-konon she had just got her duit kutu and she’d be using that money. In actual fact, she did get her duit kutu but had finished them paying off her debts.

Yati gave all sorts of excuses to her mother so that her mother wouldn’t come along. She didn’t want her mother to ask me all sorts of things. She was afraid her mother may finally suspect what AJ’s illness really was.

I advised Yati that if in any event her mother asks her who I was, just tell her mother that I’m from a “Pertubuhan Kebajikan”. The mother is fully aware that AJ is unwell and unable to work for the time being and so the family does need financial assistance. That’s where I come in.

“Ya jugak, kak. Budak-budak ni bukan boleh simpan rahsia. Nanti karang balik, depa gi cerita kata Makcik yang bayar. Mesti mak saya tanya.”

I’m not too sure how long Yati and AJ would be able to keep the secret (about AJ’s HIV) from the rest of the family though…

8 comments:

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Pi,
Children and secrets? Hmmm....that's a dangerous situation to be in. Still jealous of you being on a shopping spree. purrr...meow!

Pi Bani said...

C-i-S,
The children don't know anything about their father's HIV. They, just like their grandma and aunts/uncles only know that AJ is not well. The only secret which may leak out (ok, bukan leak lagi dah, tapi pecah terus!) is my part in helping them out with their schooling needs. Yang tu I dah ajar dah Yati apa nak cakap.

Jealous? If you were here, I'd let you do the shopping!

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

tell her mother you're from persatuan Buddhist...sure terkejut opah kita...hhehehe...

Pi Bani said...

Kerp,
Ye lah tu... terus dia larang anak dia jumpa I!

Anonymous said...

Pi - why didn't you mention earlier in your blog that u wld be taking families out for shopping spree this December? Kalau i tahu, siang2 I plan for trip to Ipoh rather than KL. Boleh I tumpang ronda2 naik kereta Pi, pusing2 kat Ipoh. I belum pernah pergi Perak lagi tau. Tell me your next makan angin or shopping plans? Aku nak itut!!

Raf

Pi Bani said...

Raf,
Eh, I ada sebutlah, hujung tahun I selalu bawak budak-budak gi shopping for their schooling needs. You yang tak baca kot.

You datanglah Ipoh naik keretapi, then kita round Ipoh naik keretaPi... :)

mamasita said...

If Yati's mum really sayang Yati and her kids, Yati MUST tell her mum! Maybe AJ may get even more family pity and attention.
Who cares what he has.He is still her beloved son-in-law right?

Pi Bani said...

Mamasita,
Most of the PLHIVs are quite reluctant to tell their family members because they aren't sure how their family would react. Yati & AJ masih di peringkat belum bersedia to tell I think. Just give them some time...