THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Tuesday 17 March 2009

Apa sakit?

Almost every morning, if it doesn't rain, and if I don't have any early morning assignments elsewhere, I'd be outside my house, doing any of the m's... menyapu, menebas, menyangkul, meracun, mencantas, menebang, mesin rumput and whatever other m's I consider as my 'exercise kampong', before I get ready to go to my office. The list used to include membasuh kereta, but of late, since the existence of the RM3 snow car wash right at the junction going in & out of my kampong, I now wash my car while sitting at the driver's seat, on my way to work. For RM3, it's worth missing the exercise... :-)

Anyway, due to my daily routine, any calls coming in on my hand phone before 8.30 in the morning would usually be unanswered. And any SMS coming in during that time would be replied rather late.

Yesterday, after my usual morning routine, I came in and saw the red light on my phone blinking instead of the green light. That's a notification that there was either a missed call or unread message or a reminder of an appointment. I checked my phone, and noticed there was one missed call and one unread message - both coming from Shila. She had actually sent the SMS earlier, and after not getting any replies within half an hour, she decided to call. That was the unanswered call. I was wondering what the urgent matter was that she couldn't wait for my reply to her SMS.

I read her message - her nose was bleeding, and so she asked me what was wrong with her. She said she was scared.

Yep, some of these PLHIV clients of mine do tend to consult me on things which they should be consulting a doctor instead. In fact there are still people out there who think that I actually work at the hospital. However, Shila knows very well that I'm just a volunteer whose job has nothing to do with the medical line.

Well, I was not about to give my opinion on what I thought was wrong with Shila, so my logical advice to her was to go to a clinic and see a doctor. Then her reply came...

'saya nak makan ubat dulu, mcm mana kak, tapi saya rasa panas la.'

Aduuuh, if she had already decided to just swallow some pills at home no matter what my reply was, might as well not ask me what to do. I don't know what kind of answer she had expected from me. Maybe all she wanted to hear from me was that there was nothing to worry about. Or did she expect me to scare her by saying that it was a life threatening situation?! Or did she actually expect medical advice from me?

Hmmm... or did she expect some kind of jampi serapah from me to cure her?

Hey mambang biru, mambang kuning, mambang hijau (oops, sorry Dalilah!)

Oh well, I guess she just wanted to mengadu hal. I do hope she finally decided to see a medical doctor.

Which reminds me of an elderly relative of mine (dah arwah dah pun...) who got ill and went to the clinic to see a doctor. The moment he got in the doctor's room and sat down, the doctor asked, "Ya pakcik, sakit apa?"

And his answer?

"Kalau aku tau idak le aku jumpa kamu!"

Fuyoo... banyak garang wor...

12 comments:

Unknown said...

It is a relief being able to get things off your chest to someone :)
But tu lah kan, as long as that thing can be solved by ourselves, we should try to be independent.

Naz in Norway said...

Kak Pi,
Tok I dulu pula kalau ke klinik and the doc tanya dia *sakit apa mak chik?* dia asyik jawab *tak dak apa aih....*
Bengang I tiap kali ... but now dah jadi kenangan mengusik jiwa :)

Kak Teh said...

pi, you boleh jadi second opinion laaa! They trust you enough to consult you. Bukan calang-calang orang ni!

I like yr relative's answer.

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

whoaa...rm3 for a snow car wash? you couldnt get a better deal than that here in my area.

Pi Bani said...

Akmal,
Yes, I think all Shila wanted to do was to talk to someone and get things off her chest. But she has family support, unlike some people who really really don't have anyone to talk to.


Naz,
Tak dak sakit apa and yet masih pi klinik no?

Pi Bani said...

Kak Teh,
Kot ya pun nak seek second opinion from me, tanyalah bab lain... bab apa nak buat kalau sakit itu ini, not my expertise lah. Silap haribulan kalau bagi juga opinion, mau ada yang bertambah sakit!


Kerp,
Yes, RM3 car wash. Kalau wash AND vacuum it's RM7. Come lah basuh kereta kat Ipoh... :)

ray said...

Komen Pak Malim, kucing ray yg alim.

Bawa kereta saya utk dicuci RM3, boleh? kata Pak Malim sambil memegang koleh.

Pi Bani said...

Pak Malim,
Nak cuci kereta RM3 boleh, saya boleh tolong bayarkan, kata Pi Bani sambil makan. Tapi tol dengan petrol untuk datang ke Ipoh, Pak Malim bayarlah sendiri, kata Pi Bani sambil berdiri.

Anonymous said...

Hola Pi Bani,

I always do that especially to my beloved wife. Even when she is sitting beside me, I would sent her an sms telling her of my supposedly back ache and maybe a massage would do wonder OR something trivial (I leave that to your creative imaginations, lol).

Why should I go thru' all that? You tell me...

Greetings and lots of love from Kuale Kangsor.

~ ArahMan7

Pi Bani said...

ArahMan7,
Nak bermanja lah tu... :)

Adoi, but if all my clients SMS me every time they fall sick and expect me to rush to them, tumpor le teman weh!

Pak Zawi said...

Pi,
Maybe you should charge for the counseling part. That will deter them from asking your counsel for trivial things.
Banyak ke lagi semak nak kena menebas? Pak Zawi dah hampir habis kawasan untuk ditebas. Mengutip hasil tidak menghasilkan banyak peluh cuma keseronokan saja. Semalam dah mula harvest kangkung muda untuk goreng belacan bab anak dari Labuan ada pulang.

Pi Bani said...

Pak Zawi,
Kalau I memang professional counselor takpelah jugak nak charge.

Kat luar rumah I ni, kerja tak maunya habis. Tebas semak luar pagar, rumput dalam pagar naik tinggi. Mesin rumput, daun pisang banyak kering. Cantas daun pisang, lalang banyak naik. Racun lalang, dahan rambutan naik sampai ke tingkap rumah. Cantas dahan rambutan, ranting-ranting dan dahan-dahan banyak berselerak. Clear ranting & dahan, semak luar pagar dah naik balik. And so the cycle continues to give me continuous exercise... :)