THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Thursday 28 August 2008

Of house visits, new volunteers and peer support...

Ramadan is coming in a few days time. I’m already getting cash contributions for me to buy Raya goodies for the poor. That means I need to start shopping for necessities to be distributed to my poor clients.

While I had earlier mentioned that I was not sure if I’d be able to do my usual Ramadan house visits this year, chances are I may still be able to do so. My mother’s condition has improved a whole lot and my sister will be around on weekends so I may be doing my house visits on Sundays without having to worry about my mother.

I hope to be able to bring along a few “babies” (the new volunteers who are still under probation) to come along with me. The visits are important as part of their training and heck, I may need the extra manpower to help carry the stuff in and out of my car!

This year alone we managed to rope in 4 new volunteers, 2 males and 2 females. One of them actually started off as our client (he’s a PLWHA) and based on our assessment, we asked him if he’d like to become a volunteer and he agreed. That makes him only the 2nd PLWHA to have joined the Buddies.

The PLWHAs who joined as volunteers are both financially stable. The way I see it, none of my own clients can become volunteers – they have enough problems of their own. Well yes, Jah may be the happy-go-lucky type and can really make others laugh; but she’s not working and is dependent on others to travel anywhere. How to do voluntary work like that?

Ah well, at least having 2 of them as volunteers is a good enough start. We do intend to set up a peer support group in the near future so hopefully these 2 will one day lead the way…

5 comments:

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

from my understanding, instead of sitting around feeling sorry and dependant on others, that PLWHA guy has actually moved forward...betul ke? if thats the case, he's a good example for many PLHWA to emulate.

Salt N Turmeric said...

Takde kena mengena dgn post tapi nak ucapkan Selamat Menyambut Ramadhan! ;)

Kak Teh said...

pi bani, selamat berpuasa dan semoga terus dengan kerja-kerja yang mulia ini.

Pi Bani said...

Kerp,
Yes, these guys have really moved forward. But we must also remember that these 2 are more educated people. The more problematic PLWHAs are usually the less educated ones.

Pi Bani said...

Farina,
Selamat Menyambut Ramadan to you too. Cooking anything special? :)


Kak Teh,
Thanks. Selamat berpuasa to you too. Jangan liat bangun sahur, ok? :)