THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Thursday 2 July 2009

Various Updates

After I came back from my clinic duty on Wednesday, there were a few calls I had to make.

First I contacted Sofie. Remember I visited her 2 weeks ago and her condition then was very weak due to effects from her new ARV medication? Well, she needs to come to Ipoh on Friday for an appointment at the GH, and I needed to know if she's up to it. I didn't want her to skip her appointment because she felt to weak to get up.

I was pleasantly surprised when I heard a rather lively voice when I called her. Although Sofie still suffers some effects from the medication, the effects aren't that bad anymore. She'd still need one of her children to accompany her to the hospital so that she'd have someone she could hold on to while walking, but at least I don't have to worry about her being unable to get up at all.

After calling Sofie, I tried calling Sharifah but got her voicemail instead. I then called Puan Nur - thank goodness I got her. Sharifah's phone had gone kaput, that's why I couldn't call her. I think this is the 3rd time this week I've been telling about my clients' phones gone kaput. First Puan Nur, then Zainab and now Sharifah.

I needed to call Sharifah/Puan Nur to inform them about the date of Sharifah's blood test later this month. Cek Mek's MyKid should be ready for collection this month, and so might as well Sharifah collects it on the same day as her blood test.

Puan Nur was on a bus when I called - on her way home from work. I don't know, but if I had sensed things correctly, I think Puan Nur herself may have some problems at home. No, she didn't say anything about having any problems or whatever, in fact she said they're fine. I even joked with her and she laughed. It's just that after being so used to observing people's body language and voice tone, somehow I sense she has problems. No, couldn't see the body language as we were on the phone, but her voice tone somehow sounded as though she had a problem. I hope I'm wrong though. I'm not about to be so nosy to ask if she has problems, so what I can do now is to continue to be her friend and maybe when she's more comfortable with me she'd tell. I'm not the type to "saja-saja mau korek", I prefer to let them tell when and if they want to tell. I'd rather be a listener than an interrogator. I would however interrogate further if they ask for my help without wanting to tell me what the root of the problem is. That's how I've been dealing with most of my clients so far - only problem is sometimes they end up telling me more than I want to hear!

Anyway, I'd be meeting Sharifah later this month. Will need to arrange for her to sign some forms - I'm helping her to apply for some financial assistance for my little Cek Mek. Maybe if there are indeed problems at home, Sharifah may tell me then - so far she has been quite open with me.

After my call to Puan Nur, I received a call from a lecturer of the private college whose student had approached me earlier at the clinic about organising an HIV/AIDS awareness programme. By then the student had gone back to the college to inform his lecturer about his meet with me and about my request for an official letter to be faxed to us for further action. The lecturer probably just wanted to confirm the matter before he arranged for the letter to be sent. The letter was faxed to Buddies center yesterday evening.

This morning on my way to work I dropped by Buddies center to get the fax - they asked for exhibition materials and a speaker for the talk. Once I reached my office, I immediately arranged to get the exhibition materials the easy way - get hold of my contacts at the Perak Family Health Association! Since all the volunteers in Buddies are working people, and the exhibition is to be held on working days, the best option is to get the PFHA to handle that part. Buddies will handle the talk on the last day. SN, who had earlier introduced the college student to me, had also expressed her interest to attend the talk. She's even willing to take half day leave for that purpose. Just shows how committed she is to this cause - she's willing to do it on personal basis instead of making it official duty.

I truly admire SN's commitment in her work. Even the patients going for appointments at the HIV clinic prefer to see SN rather than the new doctors whenever the regular doctor is not around. She even remembers the patients by their names.

I wish there are more committed nurses like her.

Just as I was about to publish this post, I got a text message from Mrs. K's 13 year old daughter... the girl seems to be all stressed out because of her family problems. She said she and her older brother don't want to stay there any longer.

Adoiii... problem lagi...

4 comments:

Naz in Norway said...

Kak Pi,
Nampaknya you have to take supplements and plenty of recreation... to keep up with all the things that are happening around you.
Take care tau :)

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Pi, my Mama said reading your stories gives her grey hair! Anyway, anytime you feel knackered, imagine me by your side, giving you unconditional love...purrr purrr....

Pi Bani said...

Naz,
I take gamat and EPO for supplements. Recreation? Oh, exercise kampung... menebas is a good way to release tension!

Pi Bani said...

Cat-in-Sydney,
Am imagining you by my side, giving me unconditional love... then suddenly realising... alamak! My hair dah same colour as your fur!! HEYELP!!!