THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Thursday 9 July 2009

My grandma moments...

I've been rather busy with my voluntary work since May. That was when Sharifah's case was first handed to me, followed by Sofie's case. Due to the nature of their cases, both of them needed extra attention. With our retreat in Cameron Highlands in June, and our Family Day coming up in early August, plus all the hurdles we had to face in my little Cek Mek's case, (and not forgetting my ICAAP poster which I have yet to finalise) there seem to be so much to do.

But despite being rather busy, did you notice that I have also been updating my blog more often since June? Well, that's because other than using this blog to create awareness about the trials and tribulations of the PLHIV families, I'm also using this blog to de-stress. When people share their problems with me, I'd need to share their problems with others so I don't have to keep so much inside me. And what better way than to blog about it, eh? I still get to protect the identities of the families I'm dealing with, I get to share their problems with blog readers, and I get to de-stress! Woo hoo!

Well, there are still problems that have yet to be settled (and I don't think can be settled in the near future) but for now let's take a short break from all those problematic cases. Today, to de-stress, I'd just like to share with you my grandma moments!

--------------------------------------------------------

The first PLHIV I was introduced to was Wani. Wani has two 'loud' young boys who scream at the top of their voices when they talk because one of them has a hearing problem. I remember the first time I went alone to visit them (after I was confirmed as a Buddy - before that I'd just join Wani's main buddy during visits) , when I wanted to leave, they shouted loud and clear, "Bye Opah!" Wani quickly told them, "Heh, makcik lah!" That was the first time I had children calling me Opah. And that's why I sikit pun tak heran describing myself as Opah Pi to my little Cek Mek. Hehehe...

--------------------------------------------------------

When arwah Rina was still alive, I remember visiting her at the hospital. A makcik, occupying the bed next to Rina's, saw me, and said, "Hah, ada maknya!" She thought I was Rina's mom! (FYI, Rina was just 3 years younger than me!) I guess that makes me her child's grandma, huh?

--------------------------------------------------------

I was at a carnival organised by a particular company. My friend who works with that company, came all the way from KL so I made it a point to attend to meet up with her. While we were chatting with a group of her friends, some of whom brought their children along, one boy, about 6 or 7 years old, saw my compact camera which came in a unique shape. He was so curious as to what it was. After staring at it for some time, he finally got the courage to ask, very politely, "Nenek, nenek, tu apa?" Hah? Nenek engko panggil aku???! Of course, my friends had a good laugh. Me? Well, couldn't beat them, joined them lah...

--------------------------------------------------------

I was accompanying my sister to meet up with her then bakal besan. Since my nephew had always been telling them about his Mak and Opah, they were actually expecting his Opah (my mother) to come along. With her knee problems, my mom didn't go lah. I was the one who accompanied my sister. After my sister introduced herself as my nephew's mother, they then looked at me, and asked, "Ni ke Opah nya?"

--------------------------------------------------------

OK lah, I give up, ngaku je lah dah tua... :)

20 comments:

Pak Zawi said...

Pi,
This is the lighter side of Pi Bani. I am glad you are sharing them otherwise it will never be written into your normal script.

sherry said...

Salam Che Pi.

My anak saudara's anak panggil i Tok Aunty ! and my husband plak jadi Tok Uncle..I love the panggilan terasa tak tua pun..heheh.

Cat-from-Sydney said...

tut...tut tut...tut
You have reached the voicemail of Opah Pi. She's busy attending to her many grandchildren. She'll call you back after she's done with nappy duty. Please leave a message after this tone. bbbeeeeepppp!

Errr...Aunty Pi, this is Angelina. I want to say something that will (hopefully) sooth your ears. YOU ARE THE YUMMIEST OPAH IN THE WORLD!!!! Bye! Mmmmwwahhh...!

Pi Bani said...

Pak Zawi,
Dalam pada selalu blog about serious issues pun, masih kena look on the lighter side of things. Kalau tidak, boleh naik biul!

Pi Bani said...

Sherry,
Suku-sakat I yang pangkat cucu (my cousin's cucu) panggil I Pah Su, sebab I bongsu. Nanti coming soon anak sedara punya anak pun panggil Pah Su jugalah.

Pi Bani said...

Cat-in-Sydney,
YUMMIEST Opah?? This Opah got sardine flavour, izzit??

Sheisawesome said...

asal hati tak tua, kak pi! :)

Pi Bani said...

LaiPing,
Oh tidak... hati baru nak meningkat remaja... ;)

Anonymous said...

Selalunya Opah ni memang orang respect punya. The BIG PLUS, Opah ni dah tak payah ada insuran lagi dah. Boleh direct aja. Senang nak cakap apa-apa atau buat apa-apa. Bila Opah bersuara, semua kecut. Anak-anak I yang I terpekik-terlolong dia orang buat tak dengar ni pun bila my Mom baru "Hmmm...." aje dah terkedu. My youngest, 4 going 40, kata "Kalau Mama dgn Abah marah, Opah ada. Opah marah, hanya Tuhan saja yang dapat menolong". Lol. BTW I rasa U ni dapat title Opah 'coz you act wisely all the time. Ye tak?...

Pi Bani said...

Anonymous,
Who me? Act wisely all the time?? Eh, bila I buat perangai, kekadang tu mengalahkan budak tau... ;)

OK, so kalau Opah marah, hanya Tuhan yang dapat tolong, eh? I'd better tell the kids not to make me angry then... hahaha!

Unknown said...

Hehehe...

tak apa lah. Tua tu di luar aje. Yang penting, hati dan jiwa tu yang mesti muda sentiasa!

Naz in Norway said...

It's actually a blessing in disguise.
Salam,
Tok Chik

Pi Bani said...

Ahan,
Hati and jiwa maintain 17 daa... ;)

Pi Bani said...

Tok Chik Naz,
It is a blessing... tak payah disguise...

mamasita said...

hahahaha..betul ker ni..you dapat gelaran opah and nenek dah?? hehehe
pssst..I'm still lucky then..before anyone calls me grandma when I don't have any cucu yet..cucu sdara takperlah..I siang2 letak Aunty depan my name! aiyayaya!!

Takper Pi..we are among the sexiest and gorgeous looking neneks around..so many atoks nak ngorat kita..cuma kita taknak jer..Ahhemm!!

Naz in Norway said...

Kak Pi,
Baguslah kalau tak payah disguise. I pun don't mind being called Tok Chik. Pernah sekali cucu cucu sedara I jerit Tok Chik! Tok Chik!
Haha! Tok Chik keluar dari kereta dengan capri pants lagi :D

Pi Bani said...

Mamasita
Betul le sebab I cerita ni. You tu dah ada Atok sorang at home jangan sibuk nak layan kalau ada atok lain nak ngorat you tau! Tapi atok at home tu gives you the atin title... not nenek... hehehe...

Alaa... tapi tak lama lagi lah tu...

Pi Bani said...

Naz,
Tok Chik pakai capri pants, ek? Well, Opah ni sekali-sekala gi kenduri ke apa ke kat kampong ni naik electric bike some more. OPAH RAWK!! :p

Cat-from-Sydney said...

You go Opah! You go Opah! ooops...what am I raving and ranting about? Nightmare...Opah Pi becomes Sardine in tomato sauce...yum yum...

Pi Bani said...

Cat-in-Sydney,
Opah Pi ni muka je muka sadin...