THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Sunday 19 July 2009

A pleasant surprise...

One of my school friends agreed to host a lunch/tea gathering for my batchmates at her house today, and since it has been quite some time since I last met my friends, I decided to go.

Coincidentally, there was an Inter-Alumni Bowling organised by my school alumni at Sunway Mega Lanes this morning, and so I thought if I make a move from Ipoh a bit earlier, I could drop by to watch and give some support. After all, I had never attended any of TKCOGA's bowling tournament, whether internal or inter-alumni, despite being the tukang pukul canang for so many years. Well, I had never even been to a bowling alley before!

bowling

So yes, despite getting a bit lost on my way to Sunway Pyramid (never been there before either), I did spend more than an hour there. I didn't wait for the tournament to end though, as my main destination was actually lunch with my batchmates. So when it was almost noon, I said my goodbyes to my fellow old girls at Sunway Mega Lanes and headed out. It was when I was on my way out that I saw one lady whom I thought looked familiar. Hmmm... she looked like a blogger whose photos I've seen. However, I wasn't really sure if I should approach her - takut salah orang. What was she doing there? She obviously wasn't playing, so which alumni was she supporting?

But I knew her (from her blog lah) as a "ratu bowling", so I figured, whaddaheck, just ask lah. If wrong person, just apologise. I went to her and asked, "Sherry ke?"

She looked at me, blankly at first, but did not deny she was Sherry... apparently Sherry's her "nama glamour" so only certain groups of people would call her that. She obviously didn't recognise me (sebab I kurang glamour kot... ), but the moment I introduced myself as Pi Bani, barulah beria-ia berpeluk apa bagai! Frankly I thought we looked like 2 long lost friends who had not met each other for so many years - whereas in fact it was our first meet ever!

Too bad I was already on my way out for my lunch gathering, so the "pertemuan yang tak disangka" only lasted for 2 or 3 minutes. Sherry only managed to get my phone number (oh, she also did introduce her kiddies to me), and I only managed to get this photo, tak sempat nak touch up or even nak betulkan tudung yang dah senget-benget due to the earlier cheering...

Sherry

Then off I went for my batch lunch gathering. Although not many turned up, as usual, it sounded as though there were so many of us. Had good food, good company and a good time too. And I didn't come home empty handed. One of them gave me some used clothes still in good condition to be given to the poor PLHIV families under my care, and another friend gave me new stationery sets which we could use as prizes for the games during our coming family day. Yayyy!

It was definitely a good day for me... and it was such a pleasant surprise to meet you Sherry!

14 comments:

Mat Cendana said...

This is fascinating, and yet another proof of "It's a small world"! Consider the fact that neither of you are locals - you from Ipoh and Sherry from Kuantan. And it's the first time you've been to a bowling alley (I'll bet you don't know about the scoring system either) - but you two met!

Sherry had SMSéd me at noon, telling me a bit about meeting you. I knew where she and her family were. of course. But at noon yesterday, I was half-awake - had spent almost the whole day sleeping - so I didn't see the significance of your meeting. Heck, I was slow even with Elviza's SMS about The Ancient Mariner...

Anyway, Sherry had excitedly SMS me again a few minutes ago, telling me about your post (yeah, she's still up at 1AM-plus). Me, well, I'm happy that you two had met... really happy about this chance encounter:-)

Pi Bani said...

Mat Cendana,
It may have been my first time at a bowling alley, but I do watch the game on TV and I have also played the computer version of the game, so I do know the scoring system.

But yes, it was such an unsangkarable meeting with Sherry, initially I wasn't too sure if that was really her. Beranikan diri je tegur. Nasib baik tegur!

And I only found out about Ancient Mariner after I got back to Ipoh, when I saw my blogroll updates, quite a few blogs did postings on his demise.

mekyam said...

on that note, don't dismiss the possibility of one day, at a bowling alley ke or just about anywhere, a total stranger tetiba hug either you or sherry or mat c like a long-lost relative (or like orang sasau, depending on your take on such odd encounters).

pls don't be too quick to shout for the security or the police... it could well be me! ;b

Pi Bani said...

Mekyam,
Don't you think it would be better if you asked first like I asked Sherry? Ni dah le tak pernah tengok langsung muka you macam mana, tetiba ada a total stranger peluk, risaulah jugak kot kot ada orang sasau baru terlepas from somewhere kan? Sekarang ni kalau sebut mekyam, I can only imagine that tweety bird up there... ;)

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

In case you didnt know how Kerp looks like, he's the guy on yellow wheelchair. and there's only one attractive-looking guy on yellow wheelchair...ME!

about the book, i've spoken to my other half and she said her co is always looking for new materials to make into a book, provided it fits the criteria needed la. i will call you later at night (murah!) and tell you how you can go about with it. you may have to speak to one of the editors most probably.

Pi Bani said...

Kerp,
You forgot one thing to describe that attractive looking guy on the yellow wheelchair... perut dia boroi! Muahaha!

Catch me on YM lah...

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Pi & Aunty Sherry,
Am jealous!!!! I wanna hug too....purrr....

Pi Bani said...

Cat-in-Sydney,
Go hug Brad! Hehehe...

sherry said...

Che Pi...

Hmmm...what a pleasant surprise kan....next time kita arrange proper gathering..

Looking forward also to jumpa mekyam and cat-In -Sydney and not to forget Mat Cendana!

Unknown said...

Akaakkk... Wah so lovely de lovely lah akak... Takde rezeki to meet, have the thought of going there... but thought only la kak...

and to rephrase kerp..if you have forgotten how I look... alah... the one with the colgate smile tu lah...hahaha

Pi Bani said...

Sherry,
Jumpa tak disangka macam ni lebih thrilling. But yes, maybe next time we should try to arrange for a proper gathering so that at least sempat lah nak menyembang kan?

Pi Bani said...

RG,
How can I forget how you look like... you kan dah famous satu Malaya! ;)

Snakebite said...

u all are welcome to hug me anytime you meet me,

hee hee

Pi Bani said...

Tok Snake,
Am NOT gonna hug a SNAKE!! ;)