THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Thursday 16 July 2009

The exhibition, the talk, the condom and the banana

I had quite a kelam-kabut time this week. Other than a few work deadlines at my office and going over in the afternoons to the private college to check on their 3-day exhibition, last night I attended a meeting at our Buddies center to discuss preparations for our coming family day. And despite remembering to get a pack of condom to bring to today's HIV talk, I completely forgot to get the bookmarks we usually distribute to students during our talks.

PH20090716181414

Luckily my house is not that far from our center, so this morning before going to my office, I had to drop by the center again to get the bookmarks. Ada boleh kerja senang, cari kerja susah...

Anyway, today's talk at the college was a study project of their marketing students. It was supposed to start at 2.30 pm and I got there at about 2.20 pm. There were just 2 or 3 of the organising committee there. Initially the organising committee panicked due to what seemed like a lack of response, but eventually one of the lecturers cancelled his class and so they finally managed to get 53 people to attend the talk. They had targetted 50 people - so they reached their target (with help from the lecturer lah).

Most of the students were either Chinese or Indians, with only one or two Malays, and I told them they could ask questions in English or Malay... but if they asked me in Chinese, then I could only come out with one answer no matter what they asked... and that's wor pu che tau... :)

And the talk was more open. The students were not the reserved type, unlike the ones I've usually given talks to before. And boy did they get excited when this mak aji took out a pack of condom from her pocket. Well, I did teach them the ABC rule - Rule A for Abstain. If they can't abstain, go to rule B - Be faithful to only one partner. And if dah gatal sangat they can't even be faithful, at least use rule C. Condom lah, what else.

I had initially wanted to show them a demo from the internet on the proper way to use and dispose a condom, but the laptop they used for the presentation did not have wireless connection. I didn't have anything around suitable enough to be used for the demo, and I jokingly told them that while I got the condom, I didn't have time to buy any bananas on my way to attend the talk.

Well guess what? Within a few minutes one of the students came in with 2 bananas he got from the mamak shop downstairs!

And initially they thought using the condom was no big deal, but when I asked them how to dispose the condom, they said, "Just take out and throw la!" Then came the demo... baru ternganga...

Those of you who may be curious on what I mean on the proper way to use and dispose a condom, you can check it out here.

And those who may want to know how a vaginal microbiocide (now also known as femidom - that's a female version of the condom) look like, you can check it out here.

Those hoping to watch something x-rated, sorry to disappoint you - the 2 videos are demos using real condoms on unreal "gadgets". :)

Anyway, I returned the banana used for the demo to the students, in case anybody wanted to eat it... that was when the girls went aiiyyeee....

2 of our trainee volunteers also came along for the talk - the same 2 trainees in my HIV clinic team. I encouraged them to come as it was a good learning process for them. Maybe later on, after more exposure, they too can handle the talks.

As for the students, they did learn new things today (besides the condom part). From my observation earlier on before the talk, many of them were not even equipped with basic knowledge of HIV.

By the end of the talk, when I asked them if they'd be afraid to buy food from someone who is known to have HIV, the answer, "Sekarang beranilah." And I asked, "Kalau dulu?" "Dulu mungkin tak berani!"

12 comments:

sherry said...

Tepuk-tepuk tangan to Mak Aji kita.

U tentu dah get used bagi ceramah pasal C..d.m ni kan..i dok imagined muka u sure selamba jer kan..sebaliknya pendengar2 tu yang blushing abih!

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

kak Pi,

young people are curious lot. and obviously i belong in that category because not just i'm young and good-looking but also curious about certain things. nanti la i tanya in private...hehehehe...malu la. because i might be the only person here to have such thought. later on if you feel its necessary to share with your readers you can blog about it. but make sure you dont mention that person's name who posed you that q...kihkihhhh...

Kama At-Tarawis said...

Hahaha Pi, the "condom and the banana" in this posting's title got to me.. terus kena masuk comment.. :-) Sebenarnya, this sort of info should be shared esp among young people..

Anonymous said...

yay! well done. i love the part where the students now berani to buy food from an hiv person :)))
-niasulaiman-

Pi Bani said...

Sherry,
Muka Mak Aji ni memang selamba sokmo.


Kerp,
Laahai... dalam pada perasan good looking tu, tau pulak malu. Nak tanya, tanya ajelah!

Pi Bani said...

Kak Puteri,
I hope you were not expecting to see a pic of the condom and banana. One of the students did take a pic though while I was showing them the demo.


Niasulaiman,
Yes, it's good isn't it when they put their knowledge to use? Some people walau dah tau pun masih was-was jugak lagi.

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Pi,
What can I say? In my world, we don't need such "gadgets" to curb the population or to prevent diseases. You humans have conveniently devised a permanent solution politely called "neutering" for my fellow felines, and canines too.
However, I would recommend this treatment for humans who don't follow your ABC mantra. SPAY them!!!! meow meow meow meow meow meow meow (that's the sound of my evil laugh)

Pi Bani said...

Cat-in-Sydney,
Maybe can force them to wear cawat besi - and letak padlock some more...

Queen Of The House said...

Hehehe Pi, you pi beli sendiri ke the condom? Nasib baik tak terserempak dgn orang sekampung yang kepochi.

I think you drove the message home to the students ... good job.

Pi Bani said...

QOTH,
No lah, tak kuasa I nak buang duit gi beli when I could just grab one from our NGO center. We have our own outreach team who distributes the condoms once a month - so masa I gi meeting kat center tu, carilah kot kot ada yang dah expire I could use for the demo. Takde yang dah expire, grab ajelah mana-mana yang ada. Actually the most important role of the condom (during the talk) was to keep the students awake in case they got bored...

mekyam said...

pi, this...

"By the end of the talk, when I asked them if they'd be afraid to buy food from someone who is known to have HIV, the answer, "Sekarang beranilah." And I asked, "Kalau dulu?" "Dulu mungkin tak berani!""

... shattering of fear and prejudice due to ignorance is a tremendous achievement!

there, i knew you'd knocked something dead, dear. ;D

Pi Bani said...

Mekyam,
Knock something dead takpe, jangan knock someone dead. I oso die lorr!