THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Sunday 25 April 2010

This and that…

Before becoming the chair of Buddies, I was the treasurer. And with accounting being part of my job at the office (other than company secretarial work), I set up a proper system using excel, with all the formulas entered, making it easier for whoever would be entering the transactions. Just enter the transactions on one sheet, and the other sheets with the monthly reports would be automatically calculated.

We’ve had 2 treasurers after me and I’ve been teaching them how to enter the transactions. Somehow every time a new treasurer is elected, I would end up doing most of the job during the initial stages.

Anyway, although the excel file had been formatted, I’d still need to check the accounts on monthly basis as usually there’d still be something that doesn’t balance somewhere.

Well, last week I was at the center to check the accounts (the treasurer does the accounts at night after work while I usually go to the center during afternoons). I have to admit there is improvement – at least most of the transactions are now entered correctly, unlike the initial stages when I myself had difficulty trying to figure out the wrongly entered transactions.

Then I got to the bank reconciliation page that was printed out and noticed that the “balance as per cash book” didn’t seem to tally. But below that was written in pencil 2 more transactions for unpresented cheques, with a new balance which tallies with the cash book. And below that was a note;

*Not enough rows to enter all unpresented cheques.*

Well yeah, in the bank reconciliation page that I prepared, there were 5 rows (I think) for the unpresented cheques column. The treasurer needed 2 more rows.

Adusss! The file was in excel format la macha! All you had to do was to insert rows la!! Yennadey!!

I didn’t know whether to laugh or to cry. The least he could have done was to ASK…

-----------------------------------------------------------------

It is already the last week of the month. Aiyo, that means it is already time for the grocery deliveries to Sofie’s and Lin’s families. So soon??? I haven’t even written the list of items needed to be given to the minimarket owner. I’d better do so within these next few days. Hopefully I can do my deliveries on Thursday and Friday. Will be off to Seremban on Saturday and hopefully Sunday can be my rest day.

The next weekend, there will be an exhibition at a hotel in Ipoh. I will man (woman?) the booth during one of the Saturday shifts. Sunday is out as I (and 4 other volunteers) will be involved in the charity run. Initially I managed to get 4 runners (including myself) with 3 females and 1 male. The guy and 2 of the ladies are regulars at runs of 10km or more (in fact the guy asked if he could run 10km when I told him we’d need to run 2 km each!). So there shouldn’t be any problem for them running the 2 km. As for myself, well I was a school runner once (please place more emphasis on the past tense rather than subject matter) but yes, I’ve been trying to keep myself fit by working out a bit more than usual sweating it out every morning after my subuh prayer.

As mentioned in my previous posting, I walked an extra few hundred meters to the hospital during my clinic duty (about 800 meters to be exact) and before that when I went to visit Ijam when he was warded for dengue, I used the stairs all the way to the 6th floor. And this morning, mowing the lawn wasn’t so tiring. And insyaAllah, I will be playing volleyball this Saturday. Hope my feet will not terpele’ot before the run…

Anyway, we need 5 runners to complete a team for the charity run. And since there was only 1 guy, I asked the guy to coax another male volunteer to join the run. But the guys are either not available on that day, while the ones who are available, are mostly kaki bangku. Finally I approached a student volunteer (she has volunteered to help us with whatever activities she could take part in before she continues her studies in August and she helped during our exhibition last month) and she immediately agreed to participate. So yeah, now we have a team of 4 females and 1 male.

Here’s the route of the run. Each runner to go one whole round…

run route

17 comments:

mamasita said...

I yang tak berlari ni pun mengah dah..tapi you memang kuatlah Pi..Duracell brand!

Pi Bani said...

Mamasita,
Kalau tak cukup exercise, I pun mengah rasanya. Bila ada workout sikit-sikit tu, fitlah juga. Tapi taklah macam Duracell. Sekadar 2km run, berani lah I masuk. Itu pun nak lari santai-santai je...

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

Fuyoo, main beach volleyball ke Kak Pi? hehe...

Tommy Yewfigure said...

Hi Pi, I excel in inserting what but then again, some spreadsheet are just 'read only' so cannot mah...kekeke. I especially like the 'hide & unhide' features :)))

Hey Do u remember Lotus 1-2-3? Anyone still using them???

Tommy

P/S - I was more of a sprinter not an endurance runner. Need to get out of situation quick b4 being smack on the head mah...hahaha.

Unknown said...

Salam Pi,
Patut pergi sampai medan kidd lepas tu baru patah balik. Baru betoi!....hehehe saje je melawak. Agak kalau dah semput minum cendol kat tepi jalan.

Pi Bani said...

Kerp,
Nak main beach volleyball kena pergi beach lah! Ni nak main kat padang sekolah lah yeop! (engko suka tengok beach volleyball pasal pakaian diorang kan? Aku tau dah...)

Pi Bani said...

Tommy,
Your profile pic really, really suits you well lah... ;)

p/s
And yes, of course I remember Lotus 123 - it was THE program back then. I don't think the younger generation is aware though!

Pi Bani said...

Elara,
Pergi Medan Kidd buat apa... baik terus pergi stesen bas, lepas tu naik bas balik Padang Ipoh. Kan? Kan? Kan?

Naz in Norway said...

Yennadey! dia tarak tau..wattudu la wey.. :D

OMG! I have not heard of Lotus123 for at least 2 decades...haha!

If I'm in Msia, I would have volunteered to be your pompom girl...takat tolong bagi air tu ke, lap peluh ke..boleh? boleh?

Pi Bani said...

Naz,
Dia tarak tau dia bole tanya la dey!!

And oh, you nak jadi pompom girl boleh... tapi you kena meloncat-loncat sepanjang 2km tu wokei? ;)

mekyam said...

yes, lotus used to be THE killer apps of the day. now it retails for less than 30 bucks. :D

remember its other challengers before excel -- quattro pro and borland? they're all still around, i think.

but if you guys are interested in a real nimble spreadsheet apps that imho gives excel a run, check out the free opensource gnumeric.

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Pi,
Sabo ajelah ngan Treasurer tu. If tak sabo, I'll help you claw his eyes out. I nak join Aunty Naz jadi your pom pom girl, can? Plus free massage some more. purrr....meow!

Pi Bani said...

Mekyam,
Heard of all those applications but never tried (except Lotus lah... time tu rasa macam takde choice lain je...).

Malas nak try application lain... until such time that excel too will become a ketinggalan zaman application.

Pi Bani said...

CiS,
You nak jadi pompom cat? Oh, you sure boleh loncat-loncat right to the end kan?

Salt N Turmeric said...

Pi, why didn't u mention anything about donation for your charity run? Manalah people know that you're looking for donation if you don't mention it? :P

Pi Bani said...

Tak naklah use my blog to seek donations, especially since it's general and not for any specific families. Takpe, this Saturday insyaAllah I'll be joining the TKCOGA visit to TKC... can take the opportunity to twist some arms there... ;)

Salt N Turmeric said...

Kalau tak cukup tangan, guna kaki bagai to twist ok? lol