THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Sunday 13 July 2008

When we help those in need...

… do they become independent or do they become even more dependent?

I guess that all depends on the attitude of the people we help and the extent to which we help them.

While I was at the Buddies center last Thursday, I suddenly remembered I had not informed Ifa about our Family Day trip to Taiping Zoo next month (ehmm… the trip is not to visit any family members in the zoo, ya…). I had to personally seek permission from her father to get Ifa to join our 2006 Family Day in Teluk Batik. Last year for the outing at Lost World of Tambun, I couldn’t get hold of her as she was always not home whenever I called. Since Ifa is already working this year and stays on her own and has her own hand phone, I assume it is easier to get hold of her this year. Not wanting to disturb her during her working hours, I just sent her a text message to invite her to join our Family Day. She replied saying that she’s interested to join but will have to confirm later as she has some problems to settle first.

Hmmm… problems? And she’s trying to solve the problems herself?

Now, that, I must say, is a great improvement for Ifa. When I first got to know her, she had almost given up living. She wished she could just die and not bother anyone anymore. Her non-supportive family didn’t help either. Frankly, I thought I never had any chance of seeing Ifa’s spirits up. I am so glad I was wrong. Ifa is more confident now, and in the process, she has become a more independent person.

I have always stressed that whenever we help these PLWHAs, we must help them to become independent. We don’t want to have them end up clinging on to us for any kind of help, financially or emotionally.

While Ifa has become a more independent and confident woman, Mrs. K’s family is the total opposite. Whenever they have problems, they always take the short cut, and end up having even more problems. And just because we helped them out once, they think we’d always be there for them. They never learn! I always have to be firm with them – even if that means I need to let them suffer a bit.

Fuzi has definitely become more independent, although there had been times when she’d try her luck to get even more help – and end up being “lectured” by me about some other families who had to work hard day and night and yet they earn much lesser than the financial assistance she got. Now she doesn’t bother me much anymore and would only inform me if any of her children who are under our Education Sponsorship program have any additional expenses at school.

Hana too has improved a lot in terms of independence. She’s thankful her children are sponsored under the same sponsorship program and to her that’s a whole load of burden off her shoulders already. She no longer needs to confide in me with all sorts of problems like she did when I first got to know her.

But one person I really admire is Lin. Although she had a tough time initially after her divorce, she didn’t try to get people’s sympathy. Despite never having any work experience before, she still managed to get herself a job. When she decided to call me for support, she didn’t ask for financial support, she just needed someone to talk to. And after letting things out, she feels much better. Now if she contacts me it is only to ask how I’m doing. Just like buddies! I am after all, her buddy, right?

I am not too sure about Yah though. Initially I knew her as a very strong and determined woman. After her angau episode she changed totally. But after putting the onus (no Kerp, not anus) back on her, telling her that she has to be responsible for her own family, she did get herself a job… which is good… but of late I haven’t even been able to call her and neither has she been contacting me. Maybe she has become TOO independent that she doesn’t even bother to answer my calls or reply my text messages?

There were also a few clients who didn’t need any financial support but more of emotional support. Maria for example, has a husband who supports her financially, but this very same man simply did not/could not/would not support her emotionally. Maria would usually try to keep things to herself, not wanting to bother anyone else about her problems, but when she feels like “exploding”, she’d call me to let things out. I’ve tried introducing Maria to other PLWHAs, but she didn’t seem to respond well. She prefers to stick to just one person to confide in whenever the need arises. That’s me.

Basically, I do see improvements in the lives of the PLWHAs I have been dealing with. Of course there are bound to be some “failures” like the K family, but I can’t win them all, can I? Besides, I am not abandoning them… I’m just trying to make them learn… albeit the hard way…

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Helo Kak,

You are doing a great job..it is good some of them manage to pick them selves up while there are others heading down south.

But as long as there is growth...it is consider a success.

May those who is doing well..continue to do so...and for those not yet...hope they will some day.

Take care Kak and God bless always.

Nightwing.

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

i think its only natural if that someone is responsible she/he'll get tired of being too dependant to get things moving for him/her. not my right to say anything about the Ks but Ifa surely deserve a pat in the back. its about self-progress.

Pi Bani said...

Nightwing,
Yes indeed, as long as there is growth, as long as there is improvement, I guess we can still call it success, no matter how small.

You take care too and have a great week ahead!

Pi Bani said...

Kerp,
Frankly, initially I thought Mrs. K would be the one who'd become more independent after all that she had to go through. And I thought Ifa, without any form of motivation (no children to think of, no support from family) would be the one who'd keep on crying and whining for the rest of her life.

Boy, was I wrong!

Unknown said...

Salam kak...

You do the right way already kak... sometimes it like giving them the fish or teaching them to fish kan?

Akak moderate comment? Kenapa?

Pi Bani said...

RG,
Sometimes we try to teach them how to fish, tapi sementara nak belajar how to fish tu bagi jugalah sikit fish dulu sementara nak hidup. It seems some people still prefer to wait for the fish yang diberi free tu.

Moderate comment sementara waktu, ada one commenter (using 3 different names) dok promote racial politics in my blog. Dah le I memang tak berkenan politics (especially so semenjak dua menjak kebelakangan ni), ditulisnya pulak RACIAL politics... buat merosakkan I punya blog je...

Daphne Ling said...

Hi Kak Pi,

You know, I believe it boils down to the person, and their personality in general...

Some people are naturally resillient, will face all issues head on, and will only ask for help when they know they can't handle it...

I guess some people call it pride and resilience? Lin must be one of these people and Ifa is progressing here too...

Some on the other hand, crumble in the face of adversity, and when people reach out to help, they just cling on continuously...

Some of your clients pulak fall in here...

You can read about the 'Big 5 Personality Traits' here...

Pi Bani said...

Daph,
It takes all kinds to make this world... if all got same attitude and personality, macam robot lah pulak kan?

Hey, you all set to fly off?