THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Thursday 10 September 2009

This and that

Remember my posting about Moorthy who will undergo a surgery in October when both his legs will be amputated? He is for the time being staying at the hospital ward for many months already as he doesn't have a place to stay. Amma illek, appa illek...

With no home, no family members, no money, and added with the fact that he is unable to fend for himself, not only does he need a shelter, he also needs caregivers to take care of his needs.

So we can't simply send him to any shelter homes, we'd need a shelter home with proper caregivers, and one which would accept HIV cases.

Guess what? Eureka! Yep, I found one. In Penang. I've spoken to the person in charge and she said there shouldn't be any problem as they still have 2 or 3 empty beds and they have caregivers around the clock! My only task is to arrange for transportation to send Moorthy over to the place. I don't think there should be any problem with that. In fact, since his case was referred to us by the hospital, we'd probably get them to send Moorthy over to his new home in an ambulance.

Whatever it is, we will wait until after the surgery so there's still time. At least we've got one problem solved...

---------------------------------------------------------

As per previous years, during Ramadhan I'd usually be getting a lot of contributions coming in from my networking, for me to distribute to the poor families I'm dealing with. In fact, this year I'm getting a whole lot more than usual. I'm using some of the money to buy goods to be sent to the families, while some will be distributed in cash, either by sending personally or by banking into their respective accounts.

I wish I can send some financial help to one particular lady and her 10 year old son. This is one of the new cases referred. Although somebody else was assigned as the buddy, the case was still referred to me for the Children Education Fund.

The only problem is, the lady stays in an orang asli settlement in an ulu kampong. And she doesn't have a phone. I cannot contact her, she will have to contact me.

But it has been 3 weeks now, and she has yet to contact me. I do have her address, but when I googled for the map, the kampong doesn't seem to be listed. So how lah?

Then I remembered I have a few clients staying in the same town - different kampongs, but they may know where this kampong is. So I sent a text message to Rosnah, and her reply came:

"Nak ke kampong tu kena naik 4 wheel drive, ala adventure mendaki. Jalan tanah merah & berbatu-batu."

Oooh... sounds adventurous. I love adventure! Woo... maybe I should transform to ala-ala Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider, huh? (a particular cat in Sydney must be choking now...)

But seriously, looks like I can't go in my Kenari. And even if I can get a 4 wheel drive, by the sound of it, I'd probably need a driver experienced enough to drive on such terrains. I don't want to end up upside down...

Any suggestions, anyone? Hmmm, since there seem to be more and more cases involving orang asli, maybe I can liaise with JHEOA for awareness programmes in orang asli settlements, and let JHEOA arrange for the transportation, huh?

---------------------------------------------------------

Am going off to KL this afternoon as my mother's follow-up appointment at Hospital Putrajaya is tomorrow morning. Will be driving back to Ipoh immediately after the appointment. I've got some house visits to do on Saturday, and on Sunday, I'll be attending the cheque presentation from Yayasan Sultan Azlan Shah by HRH The Regent of Perak.

 

See you later folks!

10 comments:

Queen Of The House said...

What busy days ahead for you, Pi!! mana you dapat all the energy? Jamu ka?

Getting the JHEOA involved seems like a good idea. Go for it.

Kak Teh said...

Pi Bani, i think it is wise to get an orang asli connection, establish a network there as there seems to be growing number of cases there. All the best.

mamasita said...

Pi..mintak bantuan jabatan kebajikan..mungkin they all ada kenderaan yang sesuai untuk menghantar the foodstuffs and cash to the orang asli lady..just tanya..

Naz in Norway said...

Salam Kak Pi,
Good idea to liase with JHEOA. I've had good experience working with them previously. Although sometimes you may have to stop yourself from commenting when they come out with the usual propaganda talk (that after all came from them up there!) but all in all, I think they would definitely back you for such awareness programmes among the OA communities. Good luck, Kak Pi.
I love the fact that you are doing all these things :)

Pi Bani said...

QOTH,
I pernah makan dijamu, tapi belum pernah makan jamu! But I do take gamat supplement. Kekadang letih juga... bila rasa letih tu, make sure take a rest lah.

Pi Bani said...

Kak Teh,
Yep, it does sound like a good idea, doesn't it? Nak kena cari connection dulu...

Pi Bani said...

Mamasita,
I liat sikit nak seek favour from Welfare Dept ni. Ada aje alasan depa. Nak buat appointment pun payah. I'm only interested to work with people who are interested to work!

Pi Bani said...

Naz,
Hajat di hati tu memanglah I nak go in for awareness programmes at OA settlements. Probably other than JHEOA, I may even pull in Family Health Association since I'm already kamceng with them.

Hopefully it will work out.

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Pi,
That cat not only choked, she puked....uek uek....!
My Mama's org does quite a lot of work with the OA, usually hand in hand with Perkim. You know how to contact my Mama. wink wink.
Don't why I still luv u though u make me puke....sigh....

Pi Bani said...

Cat-in-Sydney,
So, did your mama have to clean up your uek uek? :)

Anyway, I just managed to get in touch with someone who does voluntary work involving OA, so let's see how it goes first. If tak jalan, then I contact your mama.