THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Monday 15 September 2008

House Visits

I managed to do some house visits this Ramadan... finally!!

Since none of the new volunteers were able to join me, I went alone. There were hampers at our Center that needed to be distributed and I can't really afford to change my schedule as I may not be able to fit in other days to do the house visits, so yes, off I went yesterday to visit 3 different clients in 3 different towns and managed to get home within 3 hours! I just made sure that each visit was just a short one. Aiya... tunggu lama-lama pun bukan dapat minum kan? :)

I had to go to my NGO center first to collect the hampers. Then off to the K's. It had been quite some time since I last visited them. I didn't bother calling them first - after all most of the time that I tried to call them, I couldn't get through (the phone is on and off at the kedai pajak gadai!). The house seemed quiet when I got there, at first I thought they may have gone to balik kampong or something. Then I saw their 6 year old daughter looking through the windows... oh good, they're home! Mrs K opened the door for me but I didn't go in. I just put the hamper at the door and their little girl was excitedly trying to carry the hamper (which turned out too heavy for her). Baby K was just about to go to sleep but woke up upon hearing my voice (haiya, kacau only la this makcik!).

Anyway, during the short visit, I managed to ask Mrs. K about their last visit to IJN. They did manage to find the welfare office and while they still had to pay, they only paid the minimal amount. Their next visit will most likely be in February next year, but they're supposed to wait for a letter first confirming the date.

Next up was Shila's house. I wanted to go to Hana's house as well and since Shila's house is on the way, I might as well go to Shila's house first so that I could use the expressway to go back after the visit to Hana's house.

I didn't inform Shila either that I was coming. She seldom goes anywhere so chances were she'd be home. Shila's house too seemed quiet when I got there but when I gave the salam, I could hear someone answering my salam. And it was Shila's voice. Her daughter Laila was at another house playing with her cousin. Shila recently had to postpone her hospital appointment because her leg got bitten by her cat (don't know what was wrong with the cat then... menopausal symptom maybe? Hehehe...) and Shila's leg got really swollen. The leg looked much better when I saw her yesterday.

shila The road leading out of Shila's kampong.

I was at Shila's house for only a few minutes. Then off to Hana's. Hana was the only one of the 3 clients whom I called first to inform that I was coming. I had to check with Hana to make sure she was home as she works on shifts and sometimes she has to work on Sundays. Thank goodness yesterday was her off day.

hana The climb up to Hana's house.

Hana was waiting for me to come. She had wanted to pass me some warning letters from the GH asking for payment for her late husband's hospital bills. While she is poor, the hospital authorities wouldn't know that unless they are told. But people like Hana doesn't know how to go about. All they know is when the warning letters come, she will have to pay by hook or by crook even though she can't afford to.

I took the letters with me and will pass them to my colleague who is handling clients' welfare.

These next 2 days I may be visiting Fuzi and Zainab. Zainab's house is quite near my office so I can just drop by after office. The only problem is I am not sure when she's on day shift and when she's on night shift. I will either have to call her first or I may just pass by her house to see if she's in. As for Fuzi, most likely I will be visiting her this Wednesday. After that I may be too busy tidying and cleaning up my own house before the Bani Hashim clan come home for Raya... :)

2 comments:

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

every household seems to be very quiet. could it be that everyone's taking their daily siesta while waiting for buka? now that i've urned norturnal, an afternoon deep sleep is a must. bangun in time for asar je...muahahaha...

eh that path leading to hana's house looks rather...err...creepy. not by any means i am insulting anybody but any neighbours ke living nearby?

Pi Bani said...

Kerp:
I went to visit time pagi - first house I sampai around 10 am. Tak taulah kot masing-masing tengah buat taik mata time tu.

Anyway, yes, ada neighbours living nearby Hana's house (kalau tak, I pun tak berani gi sorang-sorang). Mostly kat kaki bukit la. Betul kat tempat I ambik gambar tu there's one house on the right. Naik sikit there's one house on the left and further up a bit baru sampai rumah Hana. Dekat rumah Hana tu pun there is one more house.