THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Saturday 11 April 2009

Donating blood

After my usual Saturday pasar tani routine this morning, and after all the siang-menyiang (of the fish etc) at home, off I went to a hypermarket to get some stuff I needed to use this weekend for my own "Minah Gyver" jobs to be done at my home.

As I got to the main entrance, well, whaddaya know... there was a blood donation drive. Great! It's been almost 2 years since my last blood donation, it's about time I donate again. You see, I don't mind donating blood... but am just too lazy to go to the hospital to do so. They need blood, they have to come find me, and not the other way round. I know, I know... if I really really wanted to donate blood, I wouldn't find it too troublesome to go to the hospital to do so, right? After all, I do go to the hospital quite often for my clinic duties. But I'd have to walk to the other end of the hospital to do so. Ahh, stop finding excuses lah... admit it... I'm just plain LAZY. Capital L capital A capital Z capital Y! Period.

Anyway, since I didn't have to go out of my way this time, and the opportunity to donate blood was there right before my very eyes, I immediately signed up. It is a good a idea to have the blood donation drive at a shopping center to cater for people like me (okay, so maybe the others are not lazy but just couldn't find the time to go to a proper blood center).

After filling up the form, weighing myself (I like using hospitals' weighing scales, they'd usually show my weight being at least 2 kgs less than that showed by my weighing scale at home!), testing for blood type (well, it's already there in my blood donor book but I guess they just have to be sure the last few times I got tested there were no mistakes done), blood pressure etc, I went to one of the empty beds. Just as I lied down, one girl who was there to help give out drinks etc to the blood donors, asked, "Nak makan biskut, makcik?" Adoi, I was lying flat on the bed lah... nanti nak derma darah tercekik biskut le pulak!

There were six beds there, and what I noticed was that most of the time, 4 out of 6 donors were women. After I was done donating blood, and sending to my car whatever drinks, fruits, biscuits etc they gave to the blood donors, I went up to the hypermarket to get whatever I wanted to buy in the first place. When I got down, it looked as though the statistics were just about the same... more women than men.

I can only think of 2 reasons...

1. It was a shopping center and so there were more women around.

2. The guys takut jarum. Muahaha! (errr... sorry guys, just kidding... although I do personally know of a few guys yang memang takut jarum!)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

i bet it's because of the first reason. Mesti punya lah :D

Pi Bani said...

Haha! Akmal to the rescue of the guys! Tergugatlah kalau the second reason kan? ;)

Naz in Norway said...

No doubt about it, Kak Pi. Lelaki memang takut jarum!

mamasita said...

Pi..you're a wonderful person.Dalam pada nak beli barang2 dan pulak derma darah! I confess I takkan bother to do so kalau tengah berkejar nak beli groceries or whatever.You have a very big heart my dear!

Pi Bani said...

Naz,
Awatnya... laki hang takut jarum ka? Or dia takut perempuan jenis Mami Jarum?? :)

Pi Bani said...

Mamasita,
Sebenarnya dari last year I dok tertangguh-tangguh nak donate blood... dok tengok my blood donor book last donation was in 2007. So, bila dah bertembung a blood donation drive, kira pucuk ubi dicita, ulam petai mendatang lah. Besides, I wasn't in a rush - takde terkejar kena jadi supir ke or nak gi aerobik ke apa ke ;). Bila lagi sambil gi shopping sempat baring pulak lagi atas katil... hehehe...

ray said...

Komen Pak Malim, kucing ray yg alim.

Pi,

Pegi pasar tani, beli ikan apa? kata Pak Malim sambil meminum air kelapa. Lepas siang ikan, boleh minta sikit? kata Pak Malim sambil naik rakit.

Pi Bani said...

Pak Malim,
Kalau Pak Malim nak saya bagi ikan, kena pergi derma darah Pak Malim dulu, kata Pi Bani sambil makan bahulu. Pak Malim berani tak tengok jarum besar tu? tanya Pi Bani sambil pakai sepatu.

Naz in Norway said...

Kak Pi,
Oh tidak tidak...kami di sini rajin derma darah :)

Pi Bani said...

Naz,
Baguih la lagu tu... sapa takut jarum kita suruh dracula sedut darah depa... :)