THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Sunday 25 October 2009

My trip to Kedah...

Yep, I was in Kedah yesterday. Merbok, to be exact. My school alumni had been invited by Tuan Hj Romli Bakar, better known as Paksu, the orang kuat behind the setting up of Kelab Pendidikan, Sukan dan Kebajikan, Kg Bujang; to join a camp they were organising at tebing Sg Merbok, Kg Batu Besi; called Perkhemahan Perpaduan Kanak-kanak Antara Kaum.

As mentioned in one of my earlier posting, I was going to bring along Saiful and Ika with me for the trip.

After a few exchanges of emails amongst a few of my alumni members, I agreed to meet up with Kak Shahid, a senior of mine, at MRSM Merbok, before going to the camp site together.

I left home as early as 6.35 am, equipped with my new toy, a GPS, heading north using the state road to fetch Sofie's kids. Oh they were ready when I got there, not 2 of them, but 3 of them. Sofie's second son, Azman (who was earlier at his school hostel when I asked the children if they wanted to follow me) wanted to join me for the trip too. Sofie felt better that way too, as she didn't want me to be burdened with the task of having to look after the kids. Azman can look after his younger siblings.

Of course we still had our concerns. Ika, the youngest, is known to have "car-sick" problems. Sofie made sure she took her ubat muntah before the trip, and told me the girl would need to take another of the pills before I started my trip home.

We got in the PLUS expressway via Kuala Kangsar, and yep, as expected, before long Ika was already dizzy. We told her to sleep. Good thing Azman joined the trip. He's quite a chatty boy, telling me about all his "adventures", so at least I had someone in the car to keep me awake.

Confident of the route with the assistance of my GPS (I had earlier set the speed warning to shut up after continuously irritating me during my earlier "test run" in town - telling me "you're over the speed limit, please drive carefully" when I was going 60 kmh at a 70 kmh road!), we reached MRSM Merbok at about 9.20 am. Earlier, on the way to MRSM, I did notice a small junction, with the sign "Kg Sg Batu Besi", the kampong where the activities were supposed to be held. But since I had promised Kak Shahid to meet up in front of MRSM, I drove straight to MRSM, which was just nearby anyway.

But when I called up Kak Shahid, she was still in Alor Star (baru nak tutup gate!) and would need another 40 minutes or so to get to Merbok. Since Bee, another friend cum second cousin from KL had just called to inform me she was almost there, I told Kak Shahid I might as well go straight to the camp site. After all, I saw the signboard earlier, so I didn't have to worry about Kg Batu Besi not listed in my GPS map.

So yep, pusing balik to the road where I saw the junction heading to the camp site, and on the way, Bee called again, saying she was in front of MRSM. Duh, I thought she was heading straight to the camp site. So, I waited for her by the roadside, and we went into the junction heading to Kg Sg Batu Besi together. Waaah... I was glad I didn't wash my car earlier.... it was jalan tanah merah...

Anyway, the moment we saw tents, banners, stalls etc, we knew we had reached the camp site.

campsite

Met up with Paksu, and he introduced us to Hafiz, his ex-student who benefited from his tuition programme, who is now heading another similar run outfit in Kg Belau nearby. We were also introduced to a group of Canadians, who joined the camp.

The morning games for the camp participants (the children had been camping there since Friday) were about to start, so I handed "my kids" over to Hafiz so they could join the activity as well. The morning activity was held at a nearby mangrove swamp (complete with pelantar and all).

pelantarmorning game

After a while, Kak Shahid called to inform me she had arrived at the camp site. Bee and I decided to walk back to the camp to meet up with her.

We were then brought by Paksu to a cool and shady area as he wanted to explain to us in details about his activities, his plans, etc. Quite a number of my alumni members had been giving cash donations for the running of his place, and so Paksu wanted to make sure he gave us in detail what he had done with the money and what else he intended to do.

It was during the discussions that another call came in on my hand phone. It was Lyana (yep, bini Pak Usop) asking me where I was. She had just arrived at the camp site and was trying to look out for me. I went to look for her, and although I was tercangak-bangak at first, I finally saw the easily recognizable Pak Usop, and so had no second thoughts about which one was Lyana...

So yeah, I finally met up with Lyana and the gang (of course, Emil & Odin were there too!).

lyana and sons

I took them to join us listening to Paksu's "briefing".

discussionThe man wearing the white kopiah is Paksu.

Apparently while I got up to look for Lyana, my friends were telling Paksu about my involvement with HIV families. Coincidentally, Paksu is planning for some sort of HIV awareness programme some time next year, and upon hearing about my involvement in HIV cases, was hoping I'd be able to help him out. I left him my name card (my NGO name card, not my business card).

Paksu then told us to follow Hafiz who would be showing us their 2 centers, one in Kg Bujang and the other in Kg Belau, both located not too far from the place (but not within walking distance lah, we'd still have to take the cars). Lyana and gang followed us too. My kids followed in my friend's car, while I joined Lyana.

First we went to Kg Bujang, Paksu's house, also used as club center...

rumah paksukgbujang1kgbujang2 tuition

Hey, scare-crows now wear helmets, do they?

scarecrow

Then off we went to Kg Belau, where we dropped off a boot full of books, contributed by my alumni members.

At Kg Belau...

kgbelau1

There was no tuition on yesterday, but these 2 ayam kampong probably were not informed about it...

kgbelau2

And there was even a mini-museum at the Kg Belau center.

kgbelau3

Notice the batu giling? Well, Saiful started handling the batu giling, and the way he was holding it, I somehow sensed he knew how to use it properly.

"Tau guna ke?" I asked.

"Tau! Pernah guna kat rumah Mak Yang," he replied.

Ahh... if there was a pertandingan giling rempah between me and the boy, he'd win hands down! My rempah giling would probably end up falling off the sides of the batu giling...

After Kg Belau, we headed back to the camp site. There were supposed to be other activities in the afternoon.

After saying goodbye to Lyana who had to attend a neighbour's kenduri, we had our lunch, prepared by the kampong folks. Then off for prayers at the surau.

Some games were supposed to start at 2 pm, but for one reason or another, it didn't start until about 3.30 pm. My kids were getting restless, they were just so eager to jump into the river. Ika dah tukar baju, asking me to hold her towel for her. So I sangkut the towel on my left shoulder. Saiful took off his jeans (he was already wearing his trackbottom underneath) and asked me to hold his jeans for him. So I sangkut the jeans on my right shoulder.

While waiting for the games to start, saw this guy selambaly walking by...

snake

See the arrow? That's a snake he's holding. Bet if he had found it on Friday, the girls would have had second thoughts about sleeping in the tents!

The games finally started off with the giant terompah game for the children...

giant terompah

Then the pertandingan mendayung perahu for the adults. The YB was there to flag off the race, and he was supposed to be brought to the starting point in a boat. My alumni members, by virtue of being the organisers guests, were also invited for the short boat ride. And Pi being Pi, suka adventure, naturally accepted the offer - got onto the boat, without life jackets whatsoever despite not knowing how to swim! So yep, there was this makcik, with a camera bergantung kat tengkuk, towel sangkut kat bahu kiri and jeans sangkut kat bahu kanan, joining the YB on the boat. And my kids, upon seeing their makcik getting in the boat, quickly jumped in too! I wasn't too worried about the boys, as they were good swimmers. But I was quite concerned about Ika, who claims she can swim if the water is up to her knees... :-)

Participants of the mendayung perahu race getting ready...

dayung perahu1

The YB starting the race...

dayung perahu2

Scene of the race from inside our boat...

dayung perahu3

After the mendayung perahu race was the much awaited pertandingan menangkap itik. At first the race was meant only for the adults as the organisers were concerned about the safety of the children in the waters, but finally they gave in to the requests of the children. Of course, they put nettings around a certain area that's not too deep, and to prevent the ducks from escaping to the deeper side of the river.

Both Azman and Saiful went to register for this, but they only allowed Azman to take part as Saiful was rather small and they were concerned about his safety.

The ducks in the water, still oblivious to whatever was going to happen next...

duck race

Then came big splashes of water when the adults started jumping in the water to catch them...

duck race2

Then came the children's turn... with even more participants!

duck race3

Saiful, although not a participant, but tempted by the waters, jumped right in to join the other boys. I saw the satisfaction on their faces upon getting all wet in the water! But they were both later complaining, "Masin betul air dia!!" They probably thought it would be air tawar since it was SUNGAI Merbok; not knowing that the river was at a kuala, directly meeting the sea.

Ika was the only one still to fulfill her intention of jumping in the river. She would have probably jumped in too if there were any girls amongst the participants, but nope they were all boys!

After that there was a pertandingan memukul bantal for the adults...

pillow fight

While Azman and Saiful were able to take care of themselves, I took the opportunity to bring Ika to another end of the place where the waters were not too muddy (due to too many people splashing around at the area) and not too deep as well so she could at least berendam for a while in the river.

By 5.15 pm, although the games were not over yet, I rounded up my kids, telling them to change as we needed to head home. I didn't want to go home too late. Their mother may get worried. Heck, my mother would get worried too if I got home so late!

The kids were so tired, they all slept within minutes of getting into the car. We reached the Gunung Semanggol R&R at about 6.40 pm, so I decided to stop for makan-makan and wait for Maghrib.

We made a move from Gunung Semanggol at 7.30 pm, by then the kids were wide awake and were chatting away. Amazingly, even Ika, the one who usually gets car-sick, was also so chirpy. I guess she only gets car-sick if she travels during day-time.

Taking the Kuala Kangsar exit, I finally managed to deliver the kids to their doorstep at 8.30pm. They did invite me to come in but it was getting too late. I promised I'd visit them later after I get their photos printed.

And I myself finally reached home a few minutes after 9 pm...

Oh btw, can anyone guess what "kabat" means?


20 comments:

Naz in Norway said...

Salam Kak Pi,
Silap lah...pertandingan memukul bantal tu sepatutnya dibuka kepada kaum wanita :D
I'll sign myself up immediately had I been there that day!

Pi Bani said...

Naz,
I'm not too sure if it was open to women or not. I think none of the women signed up. I don't think I would have signed up even if there were any other women signing up... nak panjat naik atas tu pun belum tentu boleh lepas. Belum kena pukul dah jatuh dulu kot... hehehe...

Naz in Norway said...

hehe....I cakap je, Kak Pi. In reality, I would be heading towards the opposite direction as fast as I can :D

mekyam said...

naz honey, i thought you had already signed up for a memukul bantal competition... all 12 hours or so at the start of the w'end? ;D

pi, what a wonderful day azman, saiful & ika had. bet they will remember it for the rest of their lives.

[i hope this is not too soppy and emo berlebih if i want to give you a huge virtual hug. you are such a wonderful human being!]

and i read abt you meeting mak & pak usop and their boys on lyanna's fb. guess lyanna's boys all recovered from their recent bouts of sickness. :D

Pi Bani said...

Naz,
Takpa, I'll chase you and we'll end up main pukul bantal on dry land... :)

Pi Bani said...

Mekyam,
Yep, both Lyana's boys have recovered. Anyway, it was a good learning experience for their family as well, visiting the club centers in the kampongs.

As for "my kids", belum masuk pintu rumah lagi dah macam2 depa nak cerita to their mother. All 3 kids ajak I masuk dulu... nak suruh I tunjuk the pictures I got on my camera. Too bad hari dah malam, I really had to go home.

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Pi,
I would sign up for the menangkap itek competition. Hmmm....itek = catfood too? yummm.....or else to keep Ika company too. Rare chance to see me in my Burqini...purrr....

Pi Bani said...

Cat-in-Sydney,
If you were there I would have probably suggested to the organisers to have a pertandingan menangkap kucing! Hehehe...

Kama At-Tarawis said...

waah Pi, good outing, this. kabat tu bukan ka carbide? ni larangan main bunga api ni.. ceq tau sebab inlaws ceq dulu oghang aloq jangguih..

Pi Bani said...

Kak Puteri,
Yep, love this outing... enjoyable and beneficial too.

And yep, I figured kabat was carbide too. Tapi dok teka je la. Agaknya orang suka dok buang carbide kat situ kot...

Queen Of The House said...

I'm still trying to figure out the connection with "kabat" ... what is the carbide doing there? maybe untuk pasang pelita kabat kot? Did you notice any?

I'm somewhat familiar with the area ... but never knew about the campsite. Very good cause.

Pi Bani said...

QOTH,
I tak nampak pulak apa-apa pelita kat situ. (mana rupa pelita kabat?) Tak taulah pulak kot malam-malam ada orang mai fishing pasang pelita kabat...

And oh yes, definitely good cause. I am impressed with Paksu's commitment in providing free tuition for the children from poor families around the area.

Kerp (Ph.D) said...

heyy that looks fun. i'd sign up for the itik-catching game. i mean, they dont bite do they...hehehehe...

*nasib baik tak sempat nak teka, or i'd make a fool of myself with the answer i had in mind.

Salt N Turmeric said...

Yes yes. tangkap itik sounds like fun ... to watch! heheheh

Apa makcik Lyana buat kat situ Pi? Dia part of the organiser or tukang sibuk? lol.

Pi Bani said...

Kerp,
No, the ducks don't bite, tapi during the kids session of the game, pandai pulak itik-itik tu main "sekejap ada sekejap takde" with the kids. Bila bebudak tu dekat, itik menyelam masuk dalam air... then appear again elsewhere...

And apalah pulak makna kabat that you had in mind ni? :)

Pi Bani said...

Farina,
Kalau masuk pertandingan tangkap itik tu, agaknya you'd be heading AWAY from the itik instead of towards it kot....

Anyway, Lyana stays nearbylah jugak. I told her earlier I'd heading to Merbok but won't have the time to singgah mana-mana, so she said she'd try meet me at the activity site.

I was organiser's guest and she was my guest lah!

Anonymous said...

Pi, you have done a good deed by taking the kids jalan2 and making them happy. Am sure you felt very satifaction seeing them enjoyed. Semuga Allah memberi ganjaran kepada you atas kebaikan dan kebajikan.

Pi, maaf cakap - "kabat" tu - tahi kot? But then on a second thot tak kan "Jangan buang tahi dalam pasu bunga". Anyway, please let me know what "kabat" means ok?

Raf

Pi Bani said...

Raf,
Ish, orang Singapore sorang ni lah... ada ka kabat tu tahi perginya... :)

Jangan tak tau, orang M'sia ni, especially arah-arah utara ni cukup pandai meMelayukan cakap orang putih. Government jadi gomen, so carbide jadi kabat lah sayang oi... ;)

Mama Huptihup said...

kak pi,

actually we are sad lah sbb missed all the fun with games and all...kenduri la pulak my neghbour ni...xpa next time kan :D

I think kabat tu a kind of explosives yg org guna utk bom ikan kot...i've heard the word b4 tp x sure la pulak apa benda...so most probably, kabat tu bom ikan tu lah kot...

TQ for inviting us that day...i'll try to do something to help :D

Pi Bani said...

Lyana,
The afternoon session would have been more fun for your boys.

Bom ikan? You mean they use bom ikan? I thought that's not allowed? Tapi kalau buat bom ikan, logik lah guna carbide aka kabat.