THEY WILL ASK thee as to what they should spend on others. Say: "Whatever of your wealth you spend shall [first] be for your parents, and for the near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and the wayfarer; and whatever good you do, verily, God has full knowledge thereof." - Al-Baqarah (2:215)
Malaysia Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Thursday 25 August 2011

Last rounds before Raya

With Raya coming soon and lots of things to do at home, I wanted to make sure I settled all my visits and deliveries by this week. Went to visit Sofie on Tuesday, then yesterday I was on clinic duty. I still had diapers, milk and raya cookies in my car and I still had 2 pairs of baju raya with me, donated by a friend, to be given to Laila (the orphan) and her grandma. I was determined to settle everything by today.

So yes, this morning my first destination was Laila’s house. I knew the girl wouldn’t be home because she should be in school, but I was hoping to see the grandma and hand over the things to her. But when I got to the house, the door was closed, and it was rather quiet. I gave the salam – initially there was no answer and I was about to walk back to my car when I heard some voices inside. So I gave the salam again, and this time a young lady opened the door. I asked for Laila’s grandma but was told she wasn’t in. I then decided to leave the package with the young lady (Laila’s aunt).

Leaving Laila’s house, I called up Wan, the orang asli lady who stays in a kampong not reachable by car but in the same town. I was thinking if I could get hold of her, I could get her to come meet me halfway (she usually comes to town on her brother’s motorbike). But nope, she didn’t answer my call.

Next destination – Zalia’s house. The supply of diapers & milk for her daughter is due next week, but it will be Raya next week and I figured I might as well send her the diapers/milk this week. I tried to call, but my call couldn’t get through. Her house is reachable by car though, so I still went ahead to her house, or rather, her mother’s house.

Zalia’s mother came out upon seeing my car. I was told that Zalia no longer lives there and she was back staying with her mak angkat. And this time she brought her daughter along with her. Since they stay in another town, I wasn’t about to go to that town to visit, not without proper planning at least. So what about the diapers and milk powder?? Since the mother said Zalia promised to come back for Raya, I decided to leave the diapers/milk with her mother. Haiyah, these people… when they need help, they call me. Then after I get help for them, they don’t even bother to tell me when they move.

I also gave a paper bag with 3 jars of Raya cookies to Zalia’s mother who was so happy to receive them.

I still had another paper bag of Raya cookies in the car – which would have been given to Wan had she answered my call earlier, but since it wasn’t meant to be Wan’s rezeki, I decided to go to Fuzi’s house. I did visit her 2 weeks ago to deliver some groceries, but at that time I had not got the Raya cookies yet. Since she has 5 children, I suppose her children would appreciate the cookies more. This time I didn’t warn Fuzi I was coming. I figured she should be home because I knew her hospital appointment was just about 2 weeks ago.

As I got to her house, I didn’t have to honk. Fuzi was outside hanging some clothes. And when I opened my car door, I heard the voices of some children shouting, “Acik Fizah! Acik Fizah!” I turned around and saw Ijam and Iwan running towards my car. Ijam was waiting for his school bus to come pick him up in front of a neighbour’s house, while his younger brother waited with him to see him off. I didn’t see them earlier, but when they saw my car they ran back home.

I didn’t stay long though. I just gave the bag of goodies to Fuzi, plus some duit raya (donated by friends) for her to use. And when I left, only Ijam went back to wait for the bus, Iwan went in with his mom as he was more interested in the jars of cookies in the bag…

Later in the afternoon, I received a text message from Laila’s aunt. Her mother (Laila’s grandma) told her to tell me how much they appreciate the baju raya. Laila too was very happy with the present. Alhamdulillah.

So that was it for today – covered 98kms and 3 houses in 2 hours. No more goodies in my car to be delivered. I hereby declare that my cuti raya has begun!

It’s time for me to mow my lawn! (cuti  indeed, huh?)

3 comments:

Wan Sharif said...

OK selamat bercuti then ;))
Kulluam bikhair

Unknown said...

SALAM,
SINGGAH ! SELAMAT HARI RAYA DAN MAAF ZAHIR BATIN ! LF SENDIRI MEMAAFKAN SEGALA DOSA GB (JIKA ADA, YG SENGAJA ATAU TIDAK SENGAJA)

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Pi,
Berapa lama self imposed cuti ni? Don't overload on the kuihs and ketupat and rendang, eh? purrrr *giggles*